1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 3:25 PM by Newsgroup_User

Noob Q: how to properly deploy release build with PHP/mySQL?

kmdguy
      Hello there,

I'm working on a simple FLEX app which uses the built-in PHP wizard to connect to a mySQL database. I'm building the app using MAMP and so far all of my testing is working fine. I have it performing all kinds of CRUD successfully, etc.

My question is how to properly go about moving all the necessary files to my off-site web host. Namely my mySQL database. And will the auto-generated PHP break now that it's not running on my localhost. I've tried to find a simple step-by-step guide to migrating everything here to an off-site host but couldn't find anything specific. Only how to create a simple release build which works fine. I'd like to do some testing before I get any deeper to confirm that I understand how to migrate all the files I need to my web host.

Any instruction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Noob Q: how to properly deploy release build with PHP/mySQL?
          Level 7

"kmdguy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gl852s$oif$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello there,
          >
          > I'm working on a simple FLEX app which uses the built-in PHP wizard to
          > connect
          > to a mySQL database. I'm building the app using MAMP and so far all of my
          > testing is working fine. I have it performing all kinds of CRUD
          > successfully,
          > etc.
          >
          > My question is how to properly go about moving all the necessary files to
          > my
          > off-site web host. Namely my mySQL database.

If your database is the same version of mySQL on the MAMP as on the server,
          then you should be able to just export it from one and import it to the
          other. If not, you could try doing something similar to what I describe
          here:

http://flexdiary.blogspot.com/2009/01/lazy-loading-tree-example-file-posted.html
          in the steps that start: "Download the rtf translation of the mySQL database
          table..." and "Open the classification.rtf you downloaded and..."

> And will the auto-generated PHP
          > break now that it's not running on my localhost.

I'm not sure, but I think you might wind up having to make some adjustments
          to it. For instance, is the user name and password identical on your server
          and your MAMP installation? If not, you'll have to edit some of the
          connection data.

> I've tried to find a simple
          > step-by-step guide to migrating everything here to an off-site host but
          > couldn't find anything specific. Only how to create a simple release build
          > which works fine. I'd like to do some testing before I get any deeper to
          > confirm that I understand how to migrate all the files I need to my web
          > host.

This may well be because the type of person who writes these guides is
          unlikely to be using the automatically generated scripts.

HTH;

Amy