7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2008 10:31 AM by Larry Tseng

Color problems exporting pdfs

I just recently upgraded to Windows Vista and I am running Adobe CS3 which I just installed. When I export a pdf or save as a pdf from any of the CS3 programs the colors of my images look like they are faded back as if a screened white box is on top of the image. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to stop this from happening? Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Color problems exporting pdfs
          I am also trying to figure out how to have my pdfs (CS3) created as soft proofs to clients look like they do in Output Preview. I have read all the information I can on color management, including Adobe, Real World,and can find no answer. I work in a color managed environment, but this new feature in CS3, which shows the pdf in the working profile (SWOP) rather than nice and bright as in Output preview, does not present ne with a simple pdf I can send to my clients.

On some other messages I have read in the forums, i believe others are asking the same question. FOr example, one person who described his greyscale pdfs as dull. The answer was to check the gamma n his monitor. I am certain, though, that he was seeing the pdf as color managed, and not as Output Preview.

Is there some way to, basically, switch on Output Preview?
          • 2. Re: Color problems exporting pdfs
            Mary,

You could set a Simulation Profile (or Output Intent) on your PDF
            files. That way you are forcing Acrobat Pro to show the colors as
            correct as possible without having to turn on Output Preview.

I do not know how Adobe Reader deals with an Output Intent though.

--
            Regards
            Madsen
            • 3. Re: Color problems exporting pdfs
              Level 1
              Masden

I have checked Help, looking in Distiller and Acrobat Pro (8) but cannot find a place where you can 'set' the Output preview.

However, on the bright side, I viewed the file in Acrobat Reader 8 and discovered that the file does not simutate the SWOP intent in Reader, so my clients see the full preview.

I would still like to know how to set the Simulation Profile, though.

Thanks
              Mary
              • 4. Re: Color problems exporting pdfs
                Larry Tseng Level 1
                Mary,

In Acrobat 8 Professional, try Advanced / Print Production / Output Preview.

In Acrobat 7 Professional, try Advanced / Output Preview.

I don't know if the feature is available in Acrobat Standard.

Larry
                • 5. Re: Color problems exporting pdfs
                  Level 1
                  Mary,

You set the Simulation Profile from whatever program you are using
                  to generate the PDF. Use one of the predefined PDF/X presets or
                  define your own. Under Output > PDF/X in InDesign you will find an
                  option called 'Output Intent Profile Name'.

--
                  Regards
                  Madsen
                  • 6. Re: Color problems exporting pdfs
                    Level 1
                    Thanks, Masden and Larry. As a very busy designer who works alone (so no IT to call on) I do find it frustrating when software changes significantly and explanations are not readily available in the booklet or Help files.

After testing in Reader 6 and 8 I have learned that the simulated preview I see in Acrobat 8 Pro is not the preview my clients see. This is new in CS3. Previous to that, my preview was likely sRGB or, had I set my setting to it, Adobe 1998. Why do I need to see the simulation? It has no bearing on output in the sense that, while my settings (General purpose 2 usually, and always SWOP v2) are meant to embed this generic profile to compensate for gain on the press, seeing that on screen is disconcerting. I would prefer to view the way the final job should look when printing, and from what I can see, there is no way to actually set the output simulation preview as the default preview, at least not without changing the very profile of the pdf itself (say, to Adobe 1998).

I have a calibrated Apple monitor and a Mac Pro. I expect, from my system, a fairly WYSIWIG work flow and generally am not disappointed. My files go to press pretty seamlessly. I think this more complicated preview system in Acrobat 8 is totally unnecessary and confusing.

Mary
                    • 7. Re: Color problems exporting pdfs
                      Larry Tseng Level 1
                      Hi Mary,

Good. It looks like you've figured out the answer to your problem. I thought you were having trouble finding Output Preview.

Anyway, I see that Acrobat 9 is about to come out. What do you think that the chances are that things will change yet again?

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/?promoid=BPDDU

Larry