7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2008 8:47 PM by (sue_block)

Ensuring the profile is embedded

I have a eMac and calibrate my computer with a Spyder2Express.

Have Lightroom and newly required Photoshop CS3

I have a novice when it comes to colour management. Having never printed my photos

For the first time ever I have decided to have some of my photos printed by a recommended Lab.
      The requirements from the lab are: This lab requests 200 dpi. My requirement is for the lab to print for 5X7.

Colour Profile:
      1.This can be Adobe98 sRGB or ProPhoto RGB.

2. Please ensure the profile is embedded.

After Calibration the message I receive is that the profile has been embedded.

1. Does this mean it is automatic that once I send the photo to the CD burner to send to the lab, that the profile is "embedded", i e is no other action is required by me?

2. Also somebody suggested that I request a white boarder? Is this a good idea?

3. Is it best to transfer the photo to the CD burner from Photoshop CS3 or is Lightroom ok?

4. Any other help for me to take these steps as painlessly as possible?

• 1. Re: Ensuring the profile is embedded
          (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
          The first thing is to forget about the CD burning process. Well, not
          forget about it, because it's important, but it has nothing to do with
          embedding profiles. It doesn't matter a bit what you use to burn the
          CD, and I wouldn't imagine that you'd do this with Photoshop. Rather,
          you get everything ready that you want to send to the printer, prepare
          all your files in a new folder on your hard disk, then burn a copy of
          that folder to the CD. Think of burning the CD as no more than making
          a photocopy and sticking it in an envelope: what matters is getting it
          right first.

Embedding profiles is something that happens (or doesn't happen) when
          you save a file from Photoshop (or another program). Depending on the
          program and the file format it might
          * always be embedded
          * never be embedded
          * an option

Embedded means that there is a copy of the ICC profile inside the file
          that you save. The reason for this is that it means the file can give
          accurate colour even for someone without a copy of the profile.

So, moving to the next question - what file formats does the photo lab
          accept? This is very important, because for some formats embedding
          profiles is impossible.

Aandi Inston
          • 2. Re: Ensuring the profile is embedded
            Level 1
            Thanks Aandi for your response

The Supported file Formats by the Lab are RGB TFF - uncompressed, without channels or paths or

RGB JPEG - Recommended compression: Standard Baseline 12 (Quality = 100%) without channels or paths.
            What is the reason why channels or paths are not accepted? Channels and paths seems to be an optimum method to gain a good outcome in many aspects Photoshop editing?

In relation to CD burning. Mac Computers have as part of there hardware a CD burner. There can I just save it in a folder on my desktop for the CD process burning?

Just confirming that choosing a file format as above will lead to the profile to be embedded in the photo I am burning onto the CD?

• 3. Re: Ensuring the profile is embedded
              (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
              >What is the reason why channels or paths are not accepted?

We can't really speak for your lab, but it is probably to avoid
              surprises. If something is useful in editing, you may be able to
              flatten in Photoshop before saving it. Probably a question for the
              Photoshop forum.

>There can I just save it in a folder on my desktop for the CD process burning?

I would expect so. If in doubt check the Mac help - I've never used
              the built in software for CD burning on Mac.
              >Just confirming that choosing a file format as above will lead to the profile to be embedded in the photo I am burning onto the CD?

Both formats should offer it as a choice in your save options. Read
              the options carefully, as other ones affect the lab's rules.

Aandi Inston
              • 4. Re: Ensuring the profile is embedded
                Level 1
                thanks for your time

• 5. Re: Ensuring the profile is embedded
                  Hello Sue.

I print my images at home from my iMac and R2400 but if I was to send them to the lab you have contacted, I would use embedded Adobe1998 or ProPhoto . sRGB is suitable for web viewing and printing out on low-end printers but the colour gamut is not as wide as the other two.

The lab aren't alluding to monitor calibration; they are talking about your images. If your camera has an Adobe1998 facility on it , then I would suggest that you use that if you are always going to have your pictures printed, as embedding the image file at source will save any confusion at a later stage of your workflow.

As a rule of thumb, Adobe1998 for printing and sRGB for web viewing, as 1998 can look washed out on the web ( just remember to change things in-camera, depending on your intentions).

The camera will then embed all your future images in the 1998 colour space, unless you change it. If your camera doesn't have that choice, then open your image in Photoshop, click on Image->Convert Colour Profile and you will see a facility for choosing Adobe1998 as the colour space for the image. Choose it, wait a couple of seconds, then save your image and it should now be embedded with the Adobe1998 profile. It assigns a new profile and changes the data of the image.

Open up the image into Photoshop and in the bottom left just under the picture, you should see a line that gives a little info about the image. Click on it's drop-down and you will see all the data on the image , such as document size and document profile. Click on document profile and you'll see the confirmed colour space of the image.

The idea is to have everything from camera to printer talking the same language. If I may suggest it : Enter 'Colour Management' into Google and have a read of some of the articles pertaining to it - it'll give you some idea of how your workflow should be ( especially useful if you ever start printing your pictures at home ). Just don't get hung up on it because it can get a bit complicated at times.

As for saving images to the desktop for copying to a CD at your leisure, open Finder and click on File->New Burn Folder and give the folder a suitable name. The folder will save to the desktop and then simply drag the images you intend to copy to CD into it. When you're ready to burn, double-click the folder and click on Burn, then insert a disc and follow the instructions. You can safely trash the contents of the folder when you have finished with them because it only saves an alias of an image.

I hope it helps you a little , although I also hope you'll forgive me for the long-winded reply !

Kind regards,

David Gaynor.
                  • 6. Re: Ensuring the profile is embedded
                    Level 1
                    Almost forgot, Sue.

A white border is fine if you're considering mounting the images in frames. Really, it's a personal preference thing. Border or full bleed depending on the final look you're after, I guess.

Labs prefer very little editing work done to your photos to make life easy all round - some labs don't accept images that have used layers. I'd have to admit to not knowing the precise reasons why, although I'm sure the answer's a simple one.

Images dragged from CS3 OR Lightroom should be fine. I shouldn't think it would make a difference.

Right then.....I'm off to bandage my typing fingers.

Good Luck.

• 7. Re: Ensuring the profile is embedded
                      Level 1
                      Hi David

thanks for your time and great explanation.