2 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2008 5:19 AM by (LaurieLawrence)

Switching from CRT to LCD

I am a print graphic designer in need of a new monitor and ahve been given 3 days to find one. My IT folks are suggesting a Samsung SnycmasterXL24. I am concerned with switching to an LCD from a CRT. I have seen some of the other flat screens the regular staff use in here and am not impressed. I am currently using a ViewSonic G225FB 21 with Matrox Parhelia 128 video card with Pantone color calibration software. I have the speed needed to run the graphics software and get great accuracy of color between my monitor and print. Anyone else out there use this monitor? Any issues with graphics software, video cards and color accuracy? Any input is greatly appreciated. I am running Windows XP.

Thank you for your input,
      Laurie
        • 1. Re: Switching from CRT to LCD
          Lou Dina Level 3
          Laurie,

I used a ViewSonic G220f CRT for a number of years, and then switched to a Samsung 213T LCD when my ViewSonic went to monitor heaven.

There are some differences between a CRT and and LCD, but I found the transition to be fairly painless. The Samsung is a good monitor, but there is some light falloff when you get to the edges and the corners, more than with the CRT. Still, it is no big deal, at least to me. I do a lot of fine art printing, and my previous job was as a director of marketing, and I sent a LOT of jobs to press.

LCDs are a little less forgiving if you don't view more or less perpendicular to the screen. But, to me, that is also no big deal. A monitor hood is always a good idea, to prevent ambient lighting from reflecting off the face of the monitor.

FWIW, I found the same calibration parameters worked fine on both monitors. I chose 5200K color temp, 2.2 gamma, and a luminance of 90 cd/m2. My monitor and inkjet proofs were dead ringers, and they matched the proofs I got back from my commercial printer very closely.

The 213T is no longer in production, but the Samsung synchmaster monitors are pretty good for the price. I have also heard good things about the NEC monitors, but haven't tried them. If you have money to burn, there are Eizo, LaCie and other high end LCD monitors. I also drive my monitor with a Matrox Parhelia 128 MB card. Be sure to use the digital connection.

Probably the biggest difference, at least to me, is that sharpening looks a little different on an LCD compared to a CRT. You will just have to get used to that. There is no "Perfect" monitor to print match, so whatever monitor you use, you need to get a feel for it.

Hope some of this helps.

Lou
          • 2. Re: Switching from CRT to LCD
            Level 1
            Lou,

Thank you very much for your input. That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. And I definitely appreciate the calibration input. It is always a little scary "abandoning" a tried and true setup for an unknown. Where I work money there is no "money to burn" so I must be very careful in my purchases.

Sincerely,
            Laurie