13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 2:28 AM by (digiklan)

My CRT is dying, which LCD should I chose?

I'm not sure in which forum I should post this, but I guess you guys know much about color accuracy and what LCD monitor one should chose.

Unfortunately, my last CRT is dying on me. Since my Eizo CRT and Sony CRT died, I've used a budget CRT which I had in spare. This budget CRT is a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 900NF, which is currently dying on me,... I'm not sure how long she has left. Could be days, could be weeks. (hopefully not hours)

In any case, I will need a good LCD, with GOOD color accuracy and good contrast, which can match my Samsung SyncMaster CRT at least.

Is this possible with LCD? In case it is, which LCD should I chose? I would like to have at least 20", but gladly larger if possible.
      My roof is at approximately $800 USD (510 EUR).

Any suggestions is highly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: My CRT is dying, which LCD should I chose?
          I am facing a similar situation and so far I have found the "Samsung SyncMaster 305T" which is however double your (and mine) max roof.

I have looked in http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/pcadvice/bpmfaptoag/viewconfig/
          which is may be a good site to start for you too if you not all ready know this site.
          or in english:-))
          http://www.hardware.info/us-US/pcadvice/bpmfaptoag/viewconfig/

Wish you success and I would appreciate it very much if you finish this thread once you have found your preferred alternative.

Sorry that I can't be of help right now.
          • 2. Re: My CRT is dying, which LCD should I chose?
            Level 1
            Thanks for the links Jan. So you are in a similar situation.
            I'll take a look at the Samsung SyncMaster 305T then.

I can add, that it not have to be a Samsung. I don't care about brands, only the color accuracy and contrast is good. And it is suitable for photography / media work.

I'll post back here when I've found something. In the meantime, I look forward to more suggestions from experienced people on these forums.

Martin
            • 3. Re: My CRT is dying, which LCD should I chose?
              Level 1
              Yes Martin, I need a whole new system and because I want to have it as a workstation I do not want to buy a complete all round system I want to configure the system with the components which are good for what I want.

I do not want to have a system where I can watch my tv or movies, playing music or using it as a play station so I believe by selecting the single components for what I need. This should make it possible to spend same money for better quality on items such as graphic card and monitor since color accuracy has a high priority for me.

The problem to find the right systems and most what they test out there are focussed on all round PC's what can do everything just fine but nothing with an outstanding profesional quality.

Jan
              • 4. Re: My CRT is dying, which LCD should I chose?
                Level 1
                To share with you what I know for now is about the size. I think you are right looking for at least a 20 inch device because of the available resolution.
                19 Inch has only 1440 x 900 pixel where 20 inch represents 1680 x 1050 pixel however; I do not see the pro's going to an 22 inch because it has also the same resolution as a 20 inch, it's only bigger. It is very good possible that you'll find a 20 inch monitor much cheaper as a 22 inch in the same class where the 20 inch scores much better in all quality aspects. More important is I think to look if it has a DVI input which makes a real digital input possible.
                I was reading a TfT monitor test today where the LG-L206WTQ-SF came out as the best in the price class until 360.00 Eur. Response time and image quality very good but the overall score was still only 69 out of 100.

I did not yet found good test publications about monitors in a higher price class but let you know when I found one.

Jan
                • 5. Re: My CRT is dying, which LCD should I chose?
                  Level 1
                  As for resolution and size, I would like to have at least same pixel size as the dot pitch of my current CRT. Since I don't want to either increase or decrease the size of a pixel. If I get a monitor with too high a resolution, it will decrease pixel size, resulting in very small pixels and therefore small everything on the screen.
                  And I really do want to use the native resolution of the monitor I get, otherwise everything will look fuzzy :)
                  • 6. Re: My CRT is dying, which LCD should I chose?
                    My only two LCD screens have been bottom-end EIZOs. I've been very happy with them. The new one was about $850, is 22", has a native resolution of 1650 x 1050 (and swivels to portrait mode), and displays 92% of the Adobe RGB space. The colors were shockingly brilliant when I first turned it on. (The Firefox icon is ORANGE!) This monitor is the S2231W. I would recommend it without reservation.

Joel
                    • 7. Re: My CRT is dying, which LCD should I chose?
                      Level 1
                      Joel,

It sounds like an amazing monitor for that price. How does it compare to a CRT? (In terms of color accuracy and contrast, most importantly.)
                      • 9. Re: My CRT is dying, which LCD should I chose?
                        Gusgsm Level 2
                        LCD Eizos in the 'low' range can be compared with CRT Eizos (Flexscan). I have been using both for work and the LCD ones are even better.

The ColorEdge range are another --and better-- league, but I am outside of it :(

A provider spoke me recently very well of some Nec SpectraView Models, by the way.
                        • 10. Re: My CRT is dying, which LCD should I chose?
                          Level 1
                          Gustavo, that's what I'm talking about!

I'll check the LCD Eizos out right away! I hope they fit my budget though! :)

I'll also check out the Nec Spectra View!

Cheers!
                          • 11. Re: My CRT is dying, which LCD should I chose?
                            Tim Lookingbill Level 1
                            The big plus of LCD's over CRT's is their ability to display the tinyest image element, graphic and font sharp as a tack without fuzzyness but only at their native resolution which is far more higher than what can be achieved on a CRT without it looking like mush.

What this does is increase the work area size of say a typical 50% view of an image in Photoshop where 1680x1050 as on my 2004 20" iMac would be an intolerable eyestrain on a CRT. Also the wide screen creates a workspace dimension for a rectangular 35mm proportioned image on one side with space left on the side for vertical staking of tool bar and palettes without any waisted space.

So the days of switching resolutions to grab more screen realestate on displays is over because of this. Native resolution on LCD's is more than adequate. After finally switching to a good LCD like the ones on the white iMacs and 24" aluminums, I put my two CRT's in the closet.

If on a budget I would go with the NEC 90 series. You want to make sure you get one with "i" at the end of their model name which indicates S-IPS panel, the best for viewing angle and color matching. Having a color gamut close to AdobeRGB isn't that important.
                            • 12. Re: My CRT is dying, which LCD should I chose?
                              Level 1
                              >The big plus of LCD's over CRT's is their ability to display the tinyest image element, graphic and font sharp as a tack without fuzzyness but only at their native resolution which is far more higher than what can be achieved on a CRT without it looking like mush.

>What this does is increase the work area size of say a typical 50% view of an image in Photoshop where 1680x1050 as on my 2004 20" iMac would be an intolerable eyestrain on a CRT. Also the wide screen creates a workspace dimension for a rectangular 35mm proportioned image on one side with space left on the side for vertical staking of tool bar and palettes without any waisted space.

Yeah, for sure an LCD comes with benefits too, not only drawbacks.
                              Unfortunately, the above benefits are not too much of importance for me, even though it would be nice to have. My greatest concern is the quality of the displayed image, regarding color, contrast, and so on.

>So the days of switching resolutions to grab more screen realestate on displays is over because of this. Native resolution on LCD's is more than adequate.

Well, this is actually a drawback too, not only a good thing, since you cannot lower the resolution without the horrible interpolating.

>If on a budget I would go with the NEC 90 series. You want to make sure you get one with "i" at the end of their model name which indicates S-IPS panel, the best for viewing angle and color matching. Having a color gamut close to AdobeRGB isn't that important.

I will for sure look for an IPS panel. S-IPS, AS-IPS, A-TW-IPS, or H-IPS are all good choices today (since theres nothing better), the A-TW-IPS being the best of them all. However, an A-TW-IPS wont fit in my budget, which is approximately $800 USD (510 EUR).

Thanks for the tip about the "i" at the end of the model name of the NEC's! :)
                              • 13. Re: My CRT is dying, which LCD should I chose?
                                I recommend you samsung monitors and samsung lcd tv mate. They are best for the price. reasonable price but high quality images.
                                Lcd Tv | Plazma Tv | Samsung