15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2008 10:30 PM by (koki)

2.2 or 1.8 for mac?

Level 1
      Hi

why evereony make guma 1.8 for mac and to ps 2.2?

thank
        • 1. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
          Level 1
          Use 2.2 for all of your monitor calibrations, Mac or PC. Apple for some unknown reason is still clinging to the legacy of 1.8, which made sense maybe ten years ago.
          • 2. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
            thank!

>>Apple for some unknown reason is still clinging to the legacy of 1.8, which made sense maybe ten years ago.

you know why apple do this?

thank!
            • 3. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
              Level 1
              I'm not sure anyone knows for certain, but a fair guess would be that someone at Apple thought that there were enough "legacy" users who had calibrated to 1.8 gamma and believe the myth that 1.8 was somehow better than 2.2, that changing the official Apple recommendation would upset or alienate too many people. Just a guess on my part.
              • 4. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
                Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                Koki,

Gamma 1.8 is a legacy holdover from the days of the old monochrome LaserWriter printers. It has nothing to do with colors. NOTHING.

Even Apple recommends 2.2 these days and has done so for many years.
                • 5. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
                  Level 1
                  thank!!!!
                  • 6. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
                    Gamma encoding by 1.8 is equivalent to a correction
                    for dot gain 21.3%, which is good for offset printing
                    on coated paper. Saving computation time (no conversion
                    at all) might have been the reason for this choice.
                    Page 17 here:
                    http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/a3gencolorhigh.pdf

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann
                    • 7. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
                      Level 1
                      In a land of icc profiles, as long as the monitor is with a normal range of gammas, it won't make any difference on screen which gamma you choose.
                      • 8. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
                        Lou Dina Level 3
                        I agree with Peter. All color management savvy programs correct for gamma and display 50% gray as 50% gray, since they consult with your monitor's ICC profile. Non-color managed applications however don't discriminate, so 2.2 gamma is a good setting if you want your internet, email, power point and other non-color managed applications to display more accurately. 2.2 gamma is the default standard in today's world.

Settings for color temp and luminance affect both color managed and non color managed applications.

Lou
                        • 9. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
                          Level 1
                          Hi, Lou

>>so 2.2 gamma is a good setting if you want your internet, email, power point and other non-color managed applications to display more accurately

what you recommand for print: 2.2 or 1.8?

>>All color management savvy programs correct for gamma and display 50% gray as 50% gray,

you mean the number it's aseme number in LAB?

thank
                          • 10. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
                            Lou Dina Level 3
                            Koki,

I recommend 2.2 gamma for profiling your MONITOR.

For print, I recommend using a custom printer profile.

Lou
                            • 11. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
                              Level 4
                              The Mac 1.8 gamma was used to so Apple could print to the old lazerwriters.

If you search the Apple website you will find that Apple now recommends a 2.2 gamma
                              • 12. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
                                (Marco_Ugolini) Level 1
                                Lou is absolutely correct, Koki.

It makes absolutely no difference to your Creative Suite applications which gamma you use in the monitor profile. They are color-management-savvy, and will show the images correctly with either gamma.

(Though I would still recommend gamma 2.2 for tonally smoother-looking results, or L*, if your profiling software has a choice of that.)

The interface of non-color-managed applications and utilities will look darker with a 2.2 monitor gamma, but I see that as inconsequential for professional imaging work done using color-managed applications.
                                • 13. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
                                  Level 1
                                  thank

i want to understand: if i change gamma im my monitor from 1.8
                                  to 2.2 an than i print in may canon - i sea the image more darkin?

so how the gamma it's not ddifference like you say?

thank
                                  • 14. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
                                    Larry Tseng Level 1
                                    Koki,

I hope I am not going over material that you already know.

1. Print an image to your Canon
                                    2. Change the gamma of your monitor
                                    3. Reprint the image to your Canon

The two prints should look the same.

When you change monitor gamma from 1.8 to 2.2, the image will naturally look darker on the screen because this is the nature of monitor gamma. This phenomena is unrelated to printing to your Canon, which has its own gamma-like quality.

Color management software allows monitors of different gammas to match each other as well as with other printing devices. Normal color management activities include monitor/printer calibration and profiling, and color conversion.

--Larry
                                    • 15. Re: 2.2 or 1.8 for mac?
                                      Level 1
                                      thank!!!!