2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2008 5:23 AM by (Bruce_Jamieson)

Question about calibration monitor for web image

We have 4 new computers from different manufacturers. Before calibrate them, we edit a real product image in PS in one computer. when viewing this image in other three computers, it looks similar to the real product. Now we calibrate the monitor with Adobe Gamma and make adjust on the previous image to match the real product. What happens is that when viewing the image on those non calibrated monitors, it not even close the the real product. My question is most computer users do not calibrate their monitors. They just use the manufacturer default settings. If I put my second image on our web store, most people will see a incorrect image of my product. So what's the point of calibrating my monitor? Is there a way that all my customers see the same image as I see on my monitor?
        • 1. Re: Question about calibration monitor for web image
          (Marco_Ugolini) Level 1
          >What happens is that when viewing the image on those non calibrated monitors, it not even close the the real product. My question is most computer users do not calibrate their monitors. They just use the manufacturer default settings. If I put my second image on our web store, most people will see a incorrect image of my product. So what's the point of calibrating my monitor?<br /><br />It's so that<br />b you<br />see the image as it will appear in a controlled situation -- for example when soft-proofing to simulate an output scenario like a printing press that prints according to the conditions specified in the US Web Coated (SWOP) v2 profile.<br /><br />As for all those people who do not calibrate their monitors, (a) too bad for them and (b) there is no way that anyone can predict what will appear on any one non-calibrated monitor. It is an inherent contradiction in today's web commerce that color-sensitive merchandise (like clothing, textiles, etc.) is being displayed to prospective customers using non-calibrated monitors with non-color-managed browsers and untagged images.<br /><br />>Is there a way that all my customers see the same image as I see on my monitor? <br /><br />Simply put, and things being as they are today, no, there is not -- unless (a) your customers are proficient in color management and calibrate their monitors, (b) use a color-managed web browser, and (c) you provide properly tagged images on the site. <g>
          • 2. Re: Question about calibration monitor for web image
            Level 1
            I'd say that the only way to get all of your customers to see the image as you do is to turn toward the transformative and healing powers of prayer. For yourself more than for them, really. But Marco's suggestions are a bit more proactive.