2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2008 9:21 AM by John Danek

Is My Color Management Workflow Correct?

Without understanding what color management workflow was, I have been sending photos to an on-line printer for some time and have been satisfied "most" of the time with prints. That was until I tried to print close-ups of soccer players with white jerseys and black shorts. The photos looked great on monitor but printed with a yellow tint to them. Since then I have searched the web for color management info and have obtained a copy of the printer ICC profile. I plan to re-submit photos following the process outlined below but would like comments/feedback first. Thanks.

Camera: Nikon D300
      Camera Color Space: sRGB (this was default and I never changed it)
      Computer Operating System: Windows XP SP3
      Monitor: Dell 19 inch Ultrasharp 1907FP Digital Flat Panel
      Monitor calibrated with Spyder2PRO and have confirmed through Control Panel>Display>Color Management that my last calibration is associated with device (monitor)
      Photoshop CS2 Color Setting: Working Spaces > RGB: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

After working on image, I plan to "Edit > Convert to Profile" to convert image to printer profile and Save As with same name but in a different folder. I then plan to upload to the photo printer site.

Assuming printer honors their own profile, will this give me a good result? Also, in reading color management info at different websites, I see where several people recommend the Adobe RGB colorspace for working on photos intended for print. My camera has that option. Should I change it and my Photoshop working space to Adobe RGB? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Is My Color Management Workflow Correct?
          Gernot Hoffmann Level 3
          Andres,

sRGB is probably OK for your applications. AdobeRGB
          is used for very colorful scenes (food, fashion etc.).

Check your images by numbers: if the bright and and
          dark gray cloth has almost equal numbers R=G=B for
          each pixel then it is neutral in the file.
          If these neutral parts have a tint on the monitor
          then the monitor profile is wrong.
          A test is difficult, because adaptation to the whole
          image can disturb the impression.
          If these parts are printed with a tint, then your
          online printer should re-calibrate his machine.

It's not useful to convert your sRGB images to
          the PrinterProfile. It would be even wrong, because
          meanwhile they might have a better or more actual
          profile.
          IMO it should be sufficient to tell them that all
          your images are in sRGB, but for safety you can
          embed the rather small profile (3kB) in each image.

Monitor test:
          http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/caltutor270900.pdf
          Printer test:
          http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/a3gencolorhigh.pdf

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann
          • 2. Re: Is My Color Management Workflow Correct?
            John Danek Level 4
            You should take a look at your highlights. In your example, you say Yellow is appearing in the highlights ( White areas ). In Photoshop, open the original in sRGB and read the Whites via the info palette. If you get 0%Y, then the color cast is occuring in the output device.

A word of caution. Whenever you make a change of any kind, do the change on a copy of the original. Try not to rename it the same, even if you save it to another folder. Create a naming convention that reveals the change. For instance, name the original: Photo01_sRGB.jpg; create a copy and name the copy: Photo01A_AdobeRGB.jpg. That way, you can still revert back to the original or always retain the original in the future while knowing what was done to the file by looking at the name. This helps the vendor because they'll know that the file is either sRGB or AdobeRGB based on the name of the file, they do not even have to open it. Then when problems crop up, you'll both be able to reference the file that's causing the issue(s).