4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2009 11:18 AM by Lou Dina

LR 2.3 and seeing image in develop module using printer profile for viewing

davidmiller4 Level 1
      Using lightroom 2.3, how do I adjust the image colors, contrast, and density, using the custom .icc profile for the specific printer and substrate, I will print to?

My usual and customary work flow in Photoshop permits me to use the printer profile. I am unable to do this in lightroom.

If it can be done, how do I do it. I don't want to have a workaround having me go between PS and LR.

Mac G5 dual 2.3; OS 10.4.11; PS CS 3; LR 2.3; 8 GB RAM.

Cheers
        • 1. Re: LR 2.3 and seeing image in develop module using printer profile for viewing
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          The lack of soft proofing in Lightroom is one of several reasons for which I detest Lightroom. I tried it and hated it, never bought it. I'll be watching this for responses.
          • 2. Re: LR 2.3 and seeing image in develop module using printer profile for viewing
            Lou Dina Level 3
            Nope....LR doesn't offer soft proofing. You can print to a custom profile, select perceptual or relative colorimetric, but you don't get to see a facsimile of the result until it comes off the printer.

Lou
            • 3. Re: LR 2.3 and seeing image in develop module using printer profile for viewing
              jody1622

Well, I have Photoshop CS4 so I guess I can softproof there, assign profiles etc and then transfer back to lightroom?  I print to MPIX, Costco and WHCC.

Is this a possible workflow?

j.

• 4. Re: LR 2.3 and seeing image in develop module using printer profile for viewing
                Lou Dina Level 3

Jody, yes it is workable.  In fact, I do it all the time.

Any image I consider important makes a trip to Photoshop for refining and local adjustments.  If I am just banging out proofs for a client, or if I want to email some quick pics to friends, I don't bother going to Photoshop at all. I just get it close in LR.

For those important prints, I use LR to get my global settings close, such as color balance, tint, black points, white points, contrast, etc.  But if it is going to Photoshop for further work, I always leave plenty of headroom.  For example, I don't push the white and black points to their endpoints, I use little or no Saturation boost, minimal sharpening, etc.  Once in Photoshop, I have much more control and can adjust local areas as I wish.  I can also soft proof the image and get it just right for print.  I usually print directly from Photoshop while I am there, at least large prints.

When you save the image from Photoshop as a TIFF, PSD or JPG, the changes will be locked in and LR will display the image pretty accurately.  All the slider controls will be set to zero, since you now have a new file (slider positions on your original raw images will remain where they were when you exported it to Photoshop).  Then, if you wish to print from LR, just use the same color profile, paper, rendering intent, etc, and the print should look the same as a print from Photoshop (assuming the same profile, intent, paper, etc).

I have no experience with MPIX or WHCC.  Many years ago, I downloaded a Costco profile from Dry Creek Photo (http://www.drycreekphoto.com/) and used it to soft proof my image for a specific Costco store.  This was for a Fuji Frontier printer, and it worked quite well.  I have no idea how current these profiles are or how consistent local labs are with their calibration or handling of files. Many Labs are a moving target, in my experience.

Lou