15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2018 7:16 AM by micasi

"Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?

siegman
      I put together multi-page seminar presentations by using the Acrobat "Create PDF from Multiple Files" command to join together individual PDFs acquired elsewhere or generated by Mathematica or Illustrator, and then reorganizing these pages in Acrobat.

Fairly often, when I try to Delete an unwanted one these pages using Acrobat's Document >> Delete Pages menu command I get the error message "An incorrect structure was found in the PDF file", and the page simply refuses to delete (workaround is then to move it to the end of the file.

Is there any way to cure or avoid these problems? Or a diagnostic I could run on the errant document? For example, to clean up the "incorrect structure" could I:

--Burst (Extract) the file back to individual pages, run each individual page through a Save or Save As process in Acrobat or Illustrator?

--Do the preceding on every page before assembling the first time?

--Buy a whole new suite of Adobe programs?

--?????????????

Doing a Save or Save As on the complete file doesn't seem to help.

[This happen on a MacBook running Tiger (OS 10.4), Acrobat 7.0 Standard, Illustrator CS 7.0. Send me an email; I'll forward a cc of one of these files.]
        • 1. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
          Level 1
          Is it really 7.0 or are you current with 7.0.9?
          It is 10.4 or are you current with 10.4.9?

Are you seeing this happen with EVERY presentation that you merge together or just some? Are you concerned about the future, or about fixing up existing problem documents?
          • 2. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
            siegman Level 1
            In response to questions from Leonard Rosenthol:

Is it really 7.0 or are you current with 7.0.9? ==> It's 7.0.9

It is 10.4 or are you current with 10.4.9? ==> 10.4.10 actually

Happens only "every now and then" -- maybe 1 time in 10 -- don't identify any common factors or causes when it happens.

Must confess: I have maybe couple thousand PDF slides total, captured off the net, obtained by printing to PDF on Mac, generated in Mathematica, created from misc photos, pulled out of Word docs and tech reports, etc, etc. All organized pretty well in folders, cataloged with iView, but no records kept of where they came from.

Not a killer problem -- just makes me worry a little -- and wonder, if I understood the cause, could I fix the source slide that's maybe causing it -- or at least identify the problem slide.
            • 3. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
              Siegman- This just happenned to me. I can not for the life of me delete a page. I also tried clearing the page structure, using the advanced editing tools, etc, but nothing seems to work. I really am not worried to the extreme right now, but as in your case, what if I have my 41 page presentation and need to delete that 41st page that will cost me my job?

Did anyone come up with an answer on how to fix this for future reference? By the way, I have Acrobat 7.0 Professional.

Eddie
              • 4. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
                Level 1
                Siegman- This just happenned to me. I can not for the life of me delete a page. I also tried clearing the page structure, using the advanced editing tools, etc, but nothing seems to work. I really am not worried to the extreme right now, but as in your case, what if I have my 41 page presentation and need to delete that 41st page that will cost me my job?

Did anyone come up with an answer on how to fix this for future reference? By the way, I have Acrobat 7.0 Professional.

Eddie
                • 5. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
                  Level 1

Eddie
                  • 6. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
                    Level 1

Eddie
                    • 7. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
                      Level 1
                      I'd appreciate if you could share a sample file where you are seeing the problem you describe. Of course - please do not share that file that'll cost your job ;->

If possible send such a sample file per email to

olaf AT druemmer DOT com

Maybe I can find out a little bit more that could be helpful...

Olaf Drümmer
                      • 8. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
                        Level 1
                        Also, the current patch version for 7.0 is 7.0.9 - and if you are not running it, PLEASE update and see if the problem still exists.

Leonard
                        • 9. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
                          this happens to me all the time trying to combine pdfs made in abbyy finereader professional. really really frustrating.

--if anyone still wants a sample i would gladly provide one if it helped sove this issue. just reply here..
                          • 10. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
                            Level 1
                            I would like to have a look at a sample file or two. Please email to

olaf AT druemmer DOT com

Maybe I can come up with some insights...

Olaf Drümmer
                            • 11. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
                              I don't have a solution for the problem but I do have a temporary work around. Although you cannot delete pages, you are able to export pages. I had to edit a PDF at the last minute for a major presentation and I just exported the pages that I needed into a new PDF.

Yea... it is a bit more hassle but it gets the job done until we can come up with a solution.
                              • 12. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
                                Level 1
                                Okay I figured this out To fix this problem follow the steps below:

***Disclaimer!!! - I do not know what else this procedure does to the structure of the PDF file so you may want to save this hacked version under a different file name rather than overwriting your original file.

1.Open the PDF.

2.From the Menu Bar, select ADVANCED > ACCESSIBILITY > ADD TAGS TO DOCUMENT. (When tags are finish adding an Add Tags Report will appear on the right of PDF window. Hide report.)

3.Go back to the Menu Bar, select ADVANCED > ACCESSIBILITY > TOUCH UP READING ORDER.

4.Click the SHOW ORDER PANEL BUTTON.

5.Click TAGS TAB then press the delete key to delete Tags.

Note: You can now delete pages from the PDF.
                                • 13. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
                                  Martienne

Try an alternative PDF editor such as Nitro PDF.I managed to delete the Incorrect structure page in Nitro.

There are a few freeware pdf editors around, of varying quality, plus a few commercial ones too. Good luck!

• 14. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
                                    michellebeyer Level 1

So you don't have to recreate your document, here's how to delete the tags from your current PDF:

How do I remove tags from a PDF document?

2 people found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: "Incorrect structure found in PDF file"?
                                      micasi

This worked for me, easy. I had no idea about this.