5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2008 4:32 AM by MarkWalsh

Better Dev Environment for Acrobat Javascript Dev - Eclipse?

Hi,

I'm a javascript developer that's just starting out developing Acrobat Javascript and would like to know what development tools people use to write their Acrobat JScript code. I've tried just using Acrobat but it's terrible. I'm looking for things like syntax highlight, autocomplete, suggested, code navigation, search, etc.

I normally use Eclipse but can't find a Acrobat plugin to give me the features I want. Any ideas?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Better Dev Environment for Acrobat Javascript Dev - Eclipse?
          Patrick Leckey Level 3
          The JavaScript editor in Adobe LiveCycle Designer (for XFA PDFs, which really are the future of PDF forms for Adobe) has syntax highlighting, autocomplete and search functionality.

Personally I use Notepad++ and keep the JS API Ref open next to it, but that's just out of personal preference.
          • 2. Re: Better Dev Environment for Acrobat Javascript Dev - Eclipse?
            DimitriM Level 3
            Hi PDL,

"The JavaScript editor in Adobe LiveCycle Designer (for XFA PDFs, which really are the future of PDF forms for Adobe) has syntax highlighting, autocomplete and search functionality."

I found this statement interesting given the forms capabilities added in Acrobat 8 and many new ones in Acrobat 9- Form Field Recognition, Forms Edit mode, Form Wizard, Adding Reader Extension Rights, all of which will soon be available in Acrobat 9 Standard too (no need for LCD and Std customers won't get it anyway). Seem like a shift in thinking to me as far what the future of PDF forms are for Adobe.

Just a "two cents" comment from me.

As far as the question on JS editors, you can set your preferences in Acrobat to use any number of external editors. If you have a favorite JS editor now (light-weight and fast) go to Edit ->Preferences ->General ->JavaScript and select the Use External JS Editor.

Dimitri
            WindJack Solutions
            www.windjack.com
            • 3. Re: Better Dev Environment for Acrobat Javascript Dev - Eclipse?
              hi all,

I need to include a JavaScript in a PDF file such that whenever i select that PDF file for loading the data it needs to be appended.
              For this i need to write a Java Script can anyone help me,with my following doubts,

1.Where shall i include the Java Script in my PDF file
              2.Whenever i open a PDF File it gets Opened in Acrobat Reader there where shall i find the JavaScript Editor.

Can i actually do this

Thanks in Advance
              Anitha
              • 4. Re: Better Dev Environment for Acrobat Javascript Dev - Eclipse?
                (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                >2.Whenever i open a PDF File it gets Opened in Acrobat Reader there where shall i find the JavaScript Editor.

Open the PDF file in Acrobat Pro _NOT_ in Adobe Reader.

Aandi Inston
                • 5. Re: Better Dev Environment for Acrobat Javascript Dev - Eclipse?
                  MarkWalsh Level 4
                  I use TextWrangler on a mac

http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

Can't say if it's the best or not, but it works for me. My only complaint about using an external editor is that it seems that Acrobat will not be active until you quit out of the external program.