6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2008 9:37 PM by (gastroboy)

How do I create rollovers in Acrobat?

I need to "reveal " parts of the screen (which I have in layers) as the user rolls over them.

I would also like to reveal a series of options when the user clicks in a particular area to get option 1, 2nd click gets option 2 etc until the last click takes them back to the first option.

First I need to know is this at all possible, if not I won't waste my time.

I am not a programmer so any and all assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: How do I create rollovers in Acrobat?
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          > I need to "reveal " parts of the screen...

Do you mean parts of a page?

> ...(which I have in layers) as the user rolls over them.

How are these layers implemented, exactly?

George
          • 2. Re: How do I create rollovers in Acrobat?
            Level 1
            Yes when I said screen I meant the page. This will be shown full screen in the final presentation.

Imagine a page divided into quarters, as the mouse moves over each quarter it reveals an image of that quarter.

The layers were created in Illustrator and saved as a pdf with top most layers checked.

I can reveal and hide the layers by clicking on linked areas to change the saved view, but this requires a hide method (other than just moving onto the next clicked item).

I'd also like to use transitions as the quarter is revealed, but from what I've read transitions only apply to changes of pages.
            • 3. Re: How do I create rollovers in Acrobat?
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              Yes, I *think* you can do what you want. I don't know much about layers in Illustrator, but I think they're implemented as OCGs (Optional Content Groups) when converted to PDF. OCGs are shown in the Layers pane in Acrobat.

Form buttons have a Mouse Enter and Mouse Exit events. You can set the the action of each of these events to control the visibility of OCGs (Layers), or use JavaScript action to show/hide OCGs. Form buttons can be made to have no visible appearance, so you could create four such fields, one for each quarter page, with the corresponding Mouse Enter/Mouse Exit event action.

For information on using JavaScript with layers, see: http://www.acrobatusers.com/tech_corners/javascript_corner/tips/2006/create_use_layers/

George
              • 4. Re: How do I create rollovers in Acrobat?
                Level 1
                Thank you George,

A very useful link, I'm just going through the articles there.

Hope I find what I need.

Seems like I should use Forms Fields instead of the direct route I was trying to use.

Peter
                • 5. Re: How do I create rollovers in Acrobat?
                  Yes, it is possible. Please have a look at this article. Hope it will answer your question.

http://blogs.adobe.com/acrobatineducation/2007/11/creating_a_rollover_definition_1.html

Please let us know if it works.
                  Thanks.
                  • 6. Re: How do I create rollovers in Acrobat?
                    Level 1
                    Thank you Ahmad,

I'll play with that and see if it is an easier way to do it.

P.