2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2008 8:12 AM by (Terry_Coatta)

this.external Causing Multi-Site Warning -- Why?

Hi -

We have some JavaScript in a PDF document that uses this.external to determine if the document is being viewed within a browser. We subsequently launch an embedded Flash application. In Reader 9, if we view this document in a browser, we receive a multi-site access warning when we launch the Flash. If we remove the call to this.external, the warning goes away.

The details for the multi-site warning claim that we are attempting to access the host web server.

Why does calling this.external cause the document to "think" that the host web site has been accessed? This doesn't seem to make any sense.

Terry.

Terry Coatta
      terryc@vitrium.com
        • 1. Re: this.external Causing Multi-Site Warning -- Why?
          Patrick Leckey Level 3
          Can you post a sample PDF that displays this? I don't see why testing a property would cause this.

You will also want to read the article below, since enabling enhanced security and then posting a cross-domain policy file on your web server should prevent this warning.

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb403885
          • 2. Re: this.external Causing Multi-Site Warning -- Why?
            Level 1
            I have a very simple PDF file that demonstrates this problem, but I don't see how to provide an attachment here in the forums. I can email it to you directly. You can reach me at terryc@vitrium.com.

We have set up a crossdomain file. However, our experience is that the crossdomain file does not affect whether the multi-site warning is shown. The crossdomain file will determine whether access to the site is permitted, but the multi-site warning will show up regardless if Reader detects connections to multiple different sites.

Of course, in this scenario, we're not accessing multiple sites, so the warning seems spurious.

Terry.