10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2008 1:25 AM by (Daniel151)

submitForm posts an empty document in AR9 but not in AP8

Hi all

I created a PDF-document using Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.
      Then I added a submit form button (with option "complete document") to send the document to a webserver (via POST). This works all fine and on the webserver I receive the document.

If I send the document via Adobe Acrobat Reader 9, the webserver receives an empty document. It seems the document is not sent, allthough the AR9 indicates sending the file and also receives an answer.

How can I send the document with AR9 the same way as in AP8?

Thanks in advance for any hint!
      Daniel
        • 1. Re: submitForm posts an empty document in AR9 but not in AP8
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Read this:
          http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bbb313f/1
          • 2. Re: submitForm posts an empty document in AR9 but not in AP8
            Level 1
            Hi Bernd

Thank you for your fast reply. But I can't get the reason why I'm not able to send the PDF document to the webserver. I enabled "usage right for adobe reader" before. I can save the document, which is not my purpose. I want to send the PDF to a webserver - as a whole (not only form data).

As far as I can see it should work with Adobe Reader 9 to send a form to the webserver. At least AR9 communicates and receives an answer.

In the article you referred to I read about the Extended Right Manifesto. Do I have to change any values there. How can I do that? Do I need another product than Acrobat Professional 8?

As non Adobe insider it is quite difficult to get an overview what each product does and what is needed to perform certain tasks :-)

Daniel
            • 3. Re: submitForm posts an empty document in AR9 but not in AP8
              Patrick Leckey Level 3
              > As non Adobe insider it is quite difficult to get an overview what each product does and what is needed to perform certain tasks

Bernd is not an "Adobe insider" (just brilliant and efficient), and you can always visit the individual LiveCycle product pages or call sales to get a description of the products in an interactive format. What information is missing from these options?
              • 4. Re: submitForm posts an empty document in AR9 but not in AP8
                Level 1
                Sorry, I didn't want to be unpolite. My apologies.

But the link Bernd gave me doesn't help for my question I posted. The question is quite simple.
                Can I create a form with Adobe Professional 8 which can be posted by Adobe Reader 9 to a webserver. If yes, what are the preconditions to make it work? If no, which product do I nedd? Adobe LifeCycle, which version?

Thanks a lot for your answers.
                • 5. Re: submitForm posts an empty document in AR9 but not in AP8
                  Patrick Leckey Level 3
                  > If yes, what are the preconditions to make it work?

Yes, this is definitely possible. You will need to script the solution, as well as write the webservice application on your web server to accept and process the PDF.

Have a look at the SOAP section in the API Reference. It includes examples of communicating with webservices.
                  • 6. Re: submitForm posts an empty document in AR9 but not in AP8
                    George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                    If it works for you with Acrobat Pro but not with Reader, you should try Reader-enabling the document (apply usage rights) in Acrobat Pro and try again with Reader. The problem is there are licensing restrictions that you need to consider before you proceed to build a system around this approach. In short, you need to answer the following:

1. How many recipients will you deploy the document to.

2. If the answer to #2 is greater than 500, how many submissions to you expect to process?

If the answer to #2 is greater than 500, you will have to use Adobe's LiveCycle Reader Extensions product to enable your documents, giving you an unrestricted license to deploy and process any enabled documents. If you don't want to do that, there is a third-party provider (www.formrouter.com) who will enable your documents for a fee, but the fee is probably less than what you would pay Adobe for Reader Extensions.

George
                    • 7. Re: submitForm posts an empty document in AR9 but not in AP8
                      > 2. If the answer to #2 is greater than 500, how many submissions to you expect to process?

Sorry for the typos, that should be:

2. If the answer to #1 is greater than 500, how many submissions do you expect to process?
                      • 8. Re: submitForm posts an empty document in AR9 but not in AP8
                        Level 1
                        Hi George

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. The documents are order-forms of vendors. We have around 400 vendors and each has one to a dozen documents. So we expect more than 500 documents. Customers effectively sending the documents are less, say 200.

We reader-enabled the document right at the beginning. If you dont't, it denies you to send the form to the server. If you enable it, then the document is fully sent to the web-server IF you have Acrobat Professional. If you use Acrobat Reader it pretends to send, but only makes a request WITHOUT sending the document, which is quite a misleading behavior, since it doesn't tell you it's not sending or denying.

You write that we need to enable these documents with Adobe's LiveCycle Reader. What does this mean exactly? Do we need LifeCycle to set the appropriate rights on the document once for every document or do all our customers need LifeCycle to send the document to our server? This is the big question...

Daniel
                        • 9. Re: submitForm posts an empty document in AR9 but not in AP8
                          Reader is supposed to send the entire PDF if the rights are in place, so you might want to investigate why it's not happening for you.

LiveCycle Reader Extensions is used to enable a document once. You can then distribute the document and anyone with Reader should be able to access the extended functionality.

George
                          • 10. Re: submitForm posts an empty document in AR9 but not in AP8
                            Level 1
                            Hi George

I figured out, that sending the entire PDF works with Adobe Reader 8/9 under Windows, but not under Mac OS X. It took me a while to figure that out and it's really a strange behavior.

Maybe somebody else made the same experience. I'll start a new thread on this topic.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!!

Daniel