17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2010 4:46 PM by dv8kiwi

A BUG A Really BIG BUG

Joe Bodego Level 1
      I think there is a nasty bug that is reeking havoc on my productivity using dreamweaver CS4, I have mentioned it here before but no one responded so I am going to try again. The issue it the "insert DIV tag". lets say you have a 100 classes and want to insert a class that's 10th on the list, when you select it, dreamweaver always inserts the first class on the list, you have to do this twice to select the class you want. This is a nasty bug that slows down my productivity and I am wondering when would this be fixed.
        • 1. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
          Level 7
          51635163 wrote:
          > I think there is a nasty bug that is reeking havoc on my productivity using
          > dreamweaver CS4, I have mentioned it here before but no one responded so I am
          > going to try again. The issue it the "insert DIV tag". lets say you have a 100
          > classes and want to insert a class that's 10th on the list, when you select it,
          > dreamweaver always inserts the first class on the list, you have to do this
          > twice to select the class you want. This is a nasty bug that slows down my
          > productivity and I am wondering when would this be fixed.

Have you told Adobe about it?
          http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Dooza
          • 2. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
            Level 7
            It's a known issue. Can't say I'd call it a productivity killer, though.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"Dooza" <doozadooza@gmail.com> wrote in message
            news:gkqhia$6ct$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > 51635163 wrote:
            >> I think there is a nasty bug that is reeking havoc on my productivity
            >> using dreamweaver CS4, I have mentioned it here before but no one
            >> responded so I am going to try again. The issue it the "insert DIV tag".
            >> lets say you have a 100 classes and want to insert a class that's 10th on
            >> the list, when you select it, dreamweaver always inserts the first class
            >> on the list, you have to do this twice to select the class you want. This
            >> is a nasty bug that slows down my productivity and I am wondering when
            >> would this be fixed.
            >
            > Have you told Adobe about it?
            > http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
            >
            > Dooza

• 3. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
              Joe Bodego Level 1
              It's definately a Productivity Killer I do sites with over 50 classes and when I have to select twice to select my class it's annoying. Do the math, what if all of a sudden it took you twice the time to drive to work, would you be fine with that?
              • 4. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                Level 7
                I never use so many classes - that in itself is a productivity killer.

In general, you don't need many custom classes. And, in fact, they
                make your life more difficult when you come back to maintain the page a year
                later. Use ID selectors and create descendent selector
                rules, for example -

#maintable { .... }
                #maintable td { .... }
                #maintable td table { ... }

each of those rules would apply explicitly to a) this table -

<table id="maintable">,

and b) this cell -

<table id="maintable">
                <tr>
                <td>...</td>
                </tr>
                </table> (and all others in that table),

and to this table -

<table id="maintable">
                <tr>
                <td>
                <table>
                <tr>
                <td></td>
                </tr>
                </table>
                </td>
                </tr>
                </table>

Then you could use this rule -

#maintable table td.special { .... }

to apply to this cell explicitly -

<table id="maintable">
                <tr>
                <td>
                <table>
                <tr>
                <td class="special">this one</td>
                <td>but not this one</td>
                <td class="special">this one</td>
                <td>but not this one</td>
                </tr>
                </table>
                </td>
                </tr>
                </table>

Acquiring skills like this will allow you to move away from "classitis".

In addition, I rarely apply what classes I do have using the class list on
                the property inspector. Instead I just right click on the tag on the Tag
                Selector, and use the Set Class context menu option.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                ==================
                ==================

"51635163" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gkqjup$9bc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > It's definately a Productivity Killer I do sites with over 50 classes and
                > when
                > I have to select twice to select my class it's annoying. Do the math, what
                > if
                > all of a sudden it took you twice the time to drive to work, would you be
                > fine
                > with that?
                >

• 5. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                  akribie Level 2
                  It's a real pain and I reported it some long time ago.
                  • 6. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                    Level 7
                    >>> I do sites with over 50 classes

As Murray suggests, I would re-think that approach and reduce the classes
                    you require.

Do you use IDs and descendant selectors too?

--
                    Regards

John Waller

• 7. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                      Joe Bodego Level 1
                      you're missing the point, let's say i did 10 classes, would that alliviate the bug? it amazes me how they ignore this. I guess we have to wait for a fix
                      • 8. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                        Level 7
                        51635163 wrote:
                        > It's definately a Productivity Killer I do sites with over 50 classes and when
                        > I have to select twice to select my class it's annoying. Do the math, what if
                        > all of a sudden it took you twice the time to drive to work, would you be fine
                        > with that?

The more people that report it as a bug, the more likely it is to get
                        fixed. If its a big killer for you, then you really need to talk to
                        Adobe, not just users.

Dooza
                        • 9. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                          Joe Bodego Level 1
                          I've reported this bug twice before and adobe's done nothing since, the attitute is as you can see from the response here is that "well you don;t need so many classes" it's an attitude that drives me crazy. Have any of these people worked on big sites? I've just finished a site with over 120 classes and another with 44 and I've got to say I've reserted to typing in my classes and I am no typist. It's hard to believe this bug fell through the cracks, there are much more bugs especially in their so called FTP client, I did not bring this up because I've bought Cute FTP but it's amazing to see an error message telling me that "Dreamweaver is interacting with the server" when it's not even connected. What a totally crappy product, I swear all day as I use this crappy software, it really frustrates me, really!!
                          • 10. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                            Oonly_Bonly
                            What we have here is "failure to communicate."
                            Folks the gentleman doesn't want to reduce the number of classes and trying to force him to do so doesn't solve the problem.
                            There's a bug. It slows him down. It (the bug) should be resolved.
                            • 11. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                              Level 7
                              Oonly Bonly wrote:
                              > What we have here is "failure to communicate."
                              > Folks the gentleman doesn't want to reduce the number of classes and trying to
                              > force him to do so doesn't solve the problem.
                              > There's a bug. It slows him down. It (the bug) should be resolved.

Unfortunately there are many bugs, and each one gets given a priority,
                              sadly this one doesn't appear to be high on the list, but a work around
                              has been given in the mean time. Sadly this work around hasn't given the
                              OP any hope, and has frustrated him further.

I can't see a resolution to this problem :(

Dooza
                              • 12. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                                Level 7
                                The bug is definitely in DW. But it's also definitely in the work process
                                too. Fixing the latter will somewhat mitigate the former. But <shrug> it's
                                up to the original poster to decide how practical that is. Waiting for any
                                change in DW could take as long as the release cycle (~18 months).

--
                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                Adobe Community Expert
                                ==================
                                ==================

"Dooza" <doozadooza@gmail.com> wrote in message
                                news:gl2bok$h1n$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > Oonly Bonly wrote:
                                >> What we have here is "failure to communicate."
                                >> Folks the gentleman doesn't want to reduce the number of classes and
                                >> trying to force him to do so doesn't solve the problem.
                                >> There's a bug. It slows him down. It (the bug) should be resolved.
                                >
                                > Unfortunately there are many bugs, and each one gets given a priority,
                                > sadly this one doesn't appear to be high on the list, but a work around
                                > has been given in the mean time. Sadly this work around hasn't given the
                                > OP any hope, and has frustrated him further.
                                >
                                > I can't see a resolution to this problem :(
                                >
                                > Dooza

• 13. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                                  Level 7
                                  Dooza wrote:
                                  > Unfortunately there are many bugs, and each one gets given a priority

Yes, it's a bug, and it should be fixed; but bugfix releases are rare.
                                  So, unless it's a showstopper, you need to find ways to work around bugs.

> I can't see a resolution to this problem :(

I can. It's not optimal, but I think it's better than having to select
                                  the class twice every time in the Insert Div Tag dialog box. Instead of
                                  setting the class in the Insert Div Tag dialog box, create the div with
                                  no class. Select the div in the Tag Selector, and set the class name in
                                  the Class drop-down menu of the Property inspector.

--
                                  David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
                                  Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS4",
                                  "PHP Solutions" & "PHP Object-Oriented Solutions"
                                  http://foundationphp.com/
                                  • 14. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                                    Joe Bodego Level 1
                                    I must say I appreciate the respose but too often these forums are cruised by people who are hobbiest, they do not make a living building websites so their response adds to the problem. This issue is an absolute killer for me, I build large websites for major companies, most of the times I inherit a design where the CSS has already been written, many times I add to the css classes with something like "wide_bottom_adjust" now "w" is alphabetically way down, now when I try to insert this and there are 60 classes, I have to scroll to select it twice, can you imagine the frustration doing this for 6 hours a day? Anyway I have no choice and Adobe has my money!! they've sold me a car with three wheels
                                    • 15. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                                      Level 7
                                      Both David and I have given you the workaround. Please try it.

--
                                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                      ==================
                                      ==================

news:gl2ee0$k35$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >I must say I appreciate the respose but too often these forums are cruised
                                      >by
                                      > people who are hobbiest, they do not make a living building websites so
                                      > their
                                      > response adds to the problem. This issue is an absolute killer for me, I
                                      > build
                                      > large websites for major companies, most of the times I inherit a design
                                      > where
                                      > the CSS has already been written, many times I add to the css classes with
                                      > something like "wide_bottom_adjust" now "w" is alphabetically way down,
                                      > now
                                      > when I try to insert this and there are 60 classes, I have to scroll to
                                      > select
                                      > it twice, can you imagine the frustration doing this for 6 hours a day?
                                      > Anyway
                                      > I have no choice and Adobe has my money!! they've sold me a car with three
                                      > wheels
                                      >

• 16. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                                        Level 7
                                        news:gl2ee0$k35$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        >I must say I appreciate the respose but too often these forums are cruised
                                        >by
                                        > people who are hobbiest, they do not make a living building websites so
                                        > their
                                        > response adds to the problem. This issue is an absolute killer for me, I
                                        > build
                                        > large websites for major companies, most of the times I inherit a design
                                        > where
                                        > the CSS has already been written, many times I add to the css classes with
                                        > something like "wide_bottom_adjust" now "w" is alphabetically way down,
                                        > now
                                        > when I try to insert this and there are 60 classes, I have to scroll to
                                        > select
                                        > it twice, can you imagine the frustration doing this for 6 hours a day?
                                        > Anyway
                                        > I have no choice and Adobe has my money!! they've sold me a car with three
                                        > wheels

I would not compare this to a wheel of a car as I am sure many of us never
                                        ever used that feature.
                                        So even if this is really frustrating for you, you could look at it as an
                                        opportunity to learn new things (using descendant selectors, using a
                                        different workflow, etc.)

--
                                        Thierry | Adobe Community Expert | Articles and Tutorials ::
                                        http://www.TJKDesign.com/go/?0

Spry Widgets | http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/samples/ [click on
                                        "Widgets"]
                                        Spry Menu Bar samples |
                                        http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/samples/menubar/MenuBarSample.html
                                        --

• 17. Re: A BUG A Really BIG BUG
                                          dv8kiwi Level 1

I also find it REALLY FRUSTRATING. I vote for Adobe fixing it. The fact is Adobe NEVER fixes DW bugs!! There has NEVER been a DW bugfix/update since the CS4 release! It would seem that Adobe just DOES NOT CARE about DW customers. And next thing they are going to expect us to front up for CS5...  yeah right!