This content has been marked as final. Show 9 replies
Ah, figured it out. RH was adding a comment every time the code was "touched". On the View menu, point to Show, then turn on the Tag List, and then point to Show again and turn on Comments, little green bubbles appear wherever the
[several hundred blank lines]
exist. Not sure why this happens or how to disable it. Any ideas?
Wasn't this cleared up with either 7.0.1 or 7.0.2? Have you installed those two upgrades?
Ah, I wasn't aware that was something included in the patches. We're using 7.02.001 right now. We've been working through both patches, so I suppose its possible that the comments were introduced in 7.00 and propagated to the present without being removed when we upgraded.
Is there a way to disable these comments? They grow like a fungus. I can delete them and then every time I touch the topic, a new one is added. 7.0.3 doesn't seem to have helped at all.
Is this just in one project or all. It is not something I have seen. Perhaps you could set out some steps that will cause this to happen?
I too noticed extra white space on pop-ups, starting with a new RH7 project. I have recently upgraded to RH8 and it seems worse. To duplicate, create a small topic (title line and and a few words of text). Create a link to this topic and choose auto-size. The displayed box will be much larger than the text justifies. Also, if its location is near the right edge of the parent topic it will "go over the edge" and cause scroll bars on the parent.
In RH7, this only happened in a new project. Migrated projects were safe. With RH8, the upgrade process "adds" white space to all pop-up topics. It is universal across projects.
I have just followed your steps and Marcus' and I am not seeing any problem. If you want to create a project with just a couple of topics to illustrate the point, I will be happy to look at it. Send it via my site with a link to this thread.
I tried uploading a 749k zip of a project containing a copy of a topic that demonstrates the issue. Not sure if it went through because I got a cryptic message from the transfer site:
A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (_ctl0:Content:ContentBox1:messageTextBox="...ever the [sever...").
So they may have intercepted the copy. I'll contact you via grainge.org and we'll see if we can get this to you another way.
After working with Peter offline, here is what we've come up with. I'm quoting from an email Peter sent me:
"As far as I recall, I just did two things.
First do a Find and Replace to remove all the <!--begin--> comments. I did that using EditPadPro, a text editor.
That tool also allows regular expressions in its Search and Replace function.
I created one that found many lines but it was not the right expression so I manually removed what it missed. Since then I found the correct expression is as below with a replace of nothing. Do backup your work first as regular expressions can fix things in seconds, and break them even quicker.
This link may help.
Text editors will only allow you to do this to one file at a time.
PowerGrep will allow you to do the same thing across multiple files.
I repeat, these tools are dangerous so make sure you have backups."
I've used the find and replace tool in RH with the strings above and it seems to work fairly well. I'll probably use FAR on all the project files in a copy of my projects and hope I don't blow anything up.