1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 20, 2009 7:53 AM by Patrick Leckey

Disable Printing Dialogue in Adobe Reader

I'm looking for a way to totally block/hide the printing dialogue in Adobe Reader 7.0.

As far as I know the only way to do this is to drop a script in the JavaScript folder to manipulate the whole application (catching the application initialization event). Is this right?

I can't create my own dialogs and printing methods via an embedded script because I'm dealing only with the Reader.

Can anyone provide some hints how to realise that?
        • 1. Re: Disable Printing Dialogue in Adobe Reader
          Patrick Leckey Level 3
          > I can't create my own dialogs and printing methods via an embedded script because I'm dealing only with the Reader.

You can still develop plug-ins for Reader that will override the standard print dialog and replace it with your own. There is a document called "Developing for Adobe Reader" that comes with the SDK. Find it here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/reader_overview.pdf

With JavaScript, you cannot prevent the print dialog from coming up if the user click on File > Print or the Print button.

You can, from a folder-level script, create your own silent print function, but you cannot replace the existing print functions with it from JavaScript. This can only be done from a plug-in. You could create another button or menu item that calls your silent print function, but the original interactive methods would still be there for the user to use if they wanted.