3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2009 7:56 AM by MarkWalsh

How to process PDF bank statement into a different format?

Level 1
      I'm totally unfamiliar with acrobat scripting.

I receive bank statements in PDF file. I want to write some sort of script to process the text and numbers in the PDF file to produce a bank statement as a text file formatted to my liking.

What tool do I need to do this? Do I need to buy acrobat, or is there a free solution?

I think acrobat javascript is scripting attached to the document by the author. I'm not the author of the bank statement, so I'm not sure it would work.
        • 1. Re: How to process PDF bank statement into a different format?
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          Here's some points that might help you with your question:

1. You don't have to be the author of a PDF to run scripts on it.
          2. You don't have to have the non-free (Reader) version of Acrobat to run scripts, but you will have much more options available to you if you had Acrobat Pro or Standard.
          3. There's no ready-made tool that can do what you asked for. It *might* be possible with a custom-made tool, but it's very much dependent on the structure of the PDFs you have.
          If you're interested in such a tool contact me by email. I might be able to help you out.
          • 2. Re: How to process PDF bank statement into a different format?
            gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            A lot will depend upon the PDF sent by the bank.

If it contains text and is not a image of text, you can use Acorbat JavaScript to obtain each individual word from the PDF. And then you will need to figure out what that string of text means.

If it is an image, then you will need to OCR the image to obtain a text PDF or image PDF with hidden text.

Since this will be an on going process, you also might consider addin a menu or tool bar item for this processing.
            • 3. Re: How to process PDF bank statement into a different format?
              MarkWalsh Level 4
              Are you on a Mac or PC? It's been a long time since I've used it, but I have an Applescript which used a shell command "pdftotext" to convert PDFs to text files. I'd have to look around to see where I got "pdftotext", but I believe there are also PC solutions as well.

It would be up to you to format the text once it's extracted though.