5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2008 9:30 PM by Patrick Leckey

Anti-Screen Shot?

While talking to a sales rep the other day about Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro, he told me there is a way to edit a PDF, so when someone who is viewing it takes a screen shot of the PDF and pastes it into MS Paint, the picture shows the encrypted text, preventing for the user from taking a screen shot of the PDF.

Does anyone know how to write a JavaScript to do this? Thanks for any help!
      ~Bryan~
        • 1. Re: Anti-Screen Shot?
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          > Does anyone know how to write a JavaScript to do this?

That is impossible.
          • 2. Re: Anti-Screen Shot?
            Level 1
            It's not impossible; nothing is. I've already had multiple people with Adobe tell me that it can be done. They don't specialize in JavaScripts because it's not their job so they didn't have they code on hand, however, it can be done.

If you can use two commands such as on KeyRelease and check the ID number of the key along with clearing out the clipboard, then that's all you would really have to do. I know it can be done it regular JavaScripts. The only question is how can you bring that into Acrobat? I'll let you know what I figure out.

In the mean time, if anyone else has anything useful to say, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
            ~Bryan~
            • 3. Re: Anti-Screen Shot?
              Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              > The only question is how can you bring that into Acrobat?

It is impossible with Acrobat JavaScript.
              • 4. Re: Anti-Screen Shot?
                Patrick Leckey Level 3
                Bernd is correct. This cannot be done with Acrobat JavaScript.

Just as with your "expired document" code, you are overestimating what JavaScript can do. JavaScript in Acrobat is security restricted and has absolutely no access to system events such as pressing the "Print Screen" key for a screen shot (since that is an OS-level function and not an application-level function).

Also, just as with your "expired document" script, if the user disabled JavaScript in Acrobat (you can turn off JavaScript processing in the preferences) then your script would be useless and the user could take a screen shot.

I suggest you contact Acrobat Developer Support and ask them if you don't want to trust seasoned veterans like Bernd. Their job is specific to Acrobat JavaScript - next to the Acrobat developers, they are the experts, and they will tell you exactly what Bernd told you. They also have direct access to ask the developers if you need absolute confirmation.
                • 5. Re: Anti-Screen Shot?
                  Patrick Leckey Level 3
                  I should have included some resources. Here is a link to some information about Developer Support. You can buy a single case, you don't need to sign up for a contract.

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/support/index.html

It's $195 for a single Developer Support incident.