1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2008 8:48 AM by D Zurn

APILocator application enhancements...

D Zurn Level 1
      The APILocator is in the Acrobat 8 SDK, but I use it extensively when developing my JavaScripts, but it's got a couple of oddities that I hope can be addressed. I'm not sure where to post this, since the APILocator only appears in the SDK bundle on Adobe's Dev Center.

1. (On Mac OS X 10.4) When I close the main window, there's no way to get it back without quitting and restarting the app. Not a big issue, of course, but I find myself reflexively closing the window too frequently.

2. The old API PDFs had much better text layout, using Courier for code, bold, and italics. Please see if that old layout can be at least partially captured in APILocator, or have a CSS file in the app which can control the NSWebView.

3. The "See" and "See Also" references are frequently empty, have duplicated "see see" or just don't point to anything useful. Hyperlinks would be nice, of course ;)

4. The sample windows: If I want to copy some code from the APILocator window, I get the Line Numbers as well, so I have to strip them out by hand.

5. In the Javascript APIs, the parameters are sometimes difficult to distinguish since there's no borders on the table. Look at JavaScript: doc.addWatermarkFromText or AppleEvents:Objects:annotation for examples. There's 16-20 possible parameters for these. Please add borders like the ones used for C functions.

6. Copy/Paste syntax. The AppleEvents and C APIs have a title line with the syntax of the function. Please include something like that with JavaScript, for example:
      > app.openDoc({cPath:path [, oDoc:doc, cFS:string, bHidden:Boolean, bUseConv:Boolean, cDest:NamedDestination]})
      or just
      > app.openDoc({cPath:String, oDoc:DocObject, cFS:String, bHidden:Boolean, bUseConv:Boolean, cDest:NamedDestination})

7. Can the "See" references include a link to the corresponding property? For example, here's a single property from the JS Annotation type:

> Circle
      > See author, See borderEffectIntensity, See borderEffectStyle, See contents, See creationDate, See dash, See delay, See fillColor, See hidden, See inReplyTo, See intent, See lock, See modDate, See name, See noView, See opacity, See page, See popupOpen, See popupRect, See print, See readOnly, See rect, See refType, See richContents, See rotate, See seqNum, See strokeColor, See style, See subject, See toggleNoView, See type, See width

8. It might be helpful to include the type in the parameters in JS methods. The method Field.signatureGetModifications returns an object which includes a "type" column. That would be very helpful in the JS parameters columns as well.

I know this is a big list, and the data for the APILocator certainly is automatically generated, but a few improvements to the APILocator program itself might be all that's needed for some of these usability improvements.

I also just found the data files inside the app (in the Mac version) so I'll probably search/replace the table borders in, but the rest seems beyond a quick grep or two. However, adding a CSS file would let me make my APILocator look closer to the old PDF, which was very usable.

Thanks
      Darryl
        • 1. Re: APILocator application enhancements...
          D Zurn Level 1
          I just noticed that "js_api_reference.pdf" had a bunch of content that doesn't appear in the APILocator. For example, the "event" API has a 9-page listing of event type/name combinations, and a diagram showing the form event processing.

Hmm. Some content from the 8.1 version doesn't appear in the APILocator. Is APILocator still updated, or should I stick with the JavaScript for Acrobat API? There's a number of times when using APILocator.app is much easier than opening the same PDF when working on scripts, so I hope it's not deprecated.

If it *IS* deprecated, then ... never mind, I guess :(

Darryl