3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2008 7:14 AM by Patrick Leckey

Print date in PDF without opening Acrobat

I have a little issue that needs assistance.
      Is it possible to get print date (e.g. todays date) automatically without opening the PDF in Acrobat. My plans are to use a hot folder / drop folder which directs the PDF to the printer. The form or script must be applicable anywhere on the layout. I'm working with quite heavy files for commercial printing, and nowadays spends lots of time just waiting for the file to load, add todays date into a form field, print and close the document. The time gained would be massive! I've tried some small scripts but none seems to work out for me.

Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Print date in PDF without opening Acrobat
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          First, one can not print a PDF without opening Acrobat or Reader to process the print job, this even applies to using the context menu in Windows Explorer. So you would would need a field the automatically populates upon opening or have a script in the PDF that adds and populates a field or adds a comment.
          • 2. Re: Print date in PDF without opening Acrobat
            Level 1
            Thanks for the input Geo. I think I've got it working now. I actually found a script on Adobeforum, so apologies for making a post. Regarding what you've written in your reply, it's actually possible to print a PDF without opening the application. I'm using a folder which is automatically scanned for files (must be PDF, PS or EPS). This is really good, I'm quite sure that you have the function in the new Distiller as well.
            • 3. Re: Print date in PDF without opening Acrobat
              Patrick Leckey Level 3
              You may not see a window open, but the application itself opens. Windows does not natively understand the contents of a PDF file so Acrobat has to be opened in order to process the PDF contents into PostScript or PCL for your print driver to interpret.

Geo is quite right, the application will ALWAYS open when printing a PDF file. Otherwise there would be no way to pass any PDF data to your print drivers.