14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2008 4:52 AM by Patrick Leckey

Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0

Level 1
      Hello:

I have used the tabbing feature and followed all of the instructions on how to do this but for some reasons, the system keeps tabbing to cells I did not want it to...... Is there any way to tell the system not to tab on any particular cell???

Keith.
        • 1. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
          Patrick Leckey Level 3
          You need to update to Designer ES (8.1.1). This is a known bug in 8.0 that was fixed with the ES release.

If you own Acrobat Professional, the upgrade only costs $29.

https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&storeclient=flash&nr=0&distr ibutionmethod=UPGRADE&view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/LiveCycle
          • 2. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
            Level 1
            If anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Keith.
            • 3. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
              Patrick Leckey Level 3
              > If anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated.

It's a bug. You need to upgrade.
              • 4. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
                Level 1
                I have down loaded the upgrade and when my Adobe version opens it says version 8.05.2073.1374024. Should it not read 8.1.2?? I have rebooted the computer and still the same problem with this tabbing. I am wondering if I have the upgrade.

Your thoughts? When you go to the help about Acrobat menu does it say version 8.1.2??

Thanks,

Keith.
                • 5. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
                  Patrick Leckey Level 3
                  Acrobat and Designer are different products and are at different revisions currently.

The version of Designer you need would say 8.1.1.2188.1.406459 in the about box (it doesn't matter what version Acrobat says it is).

I already posted a link in this thread (click Show All Messages and then read back) to where you can get the Desginer update. It is not free. It costs $29 if you already have a licensed copy of Acrobat.
                  • 6. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
                    Level 1
                    Hello PDL:

Yes, last night I discovered that my version of Adobe Professional is 8.1.2 and what I was referring to was the version of my Adobe Lifecycle Designer. I opened up a case with Adobe technical support who could not resolve the issue with the tabbing over the phone. It is interesting that they are not aware that it is a bug in their own software and that one would have to pay to get the solution. I am going to call again on the status of the case since they were going to play with a sample file I sent them via FTP. I let you know what the outcome was and pass on your additional info.

Thanks for the reply,

Keith.
                    • 7. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
                      Patrick Leckey Level 3
                      Did you contact Adobe themselves (i.e. you have a Gold or Platinum support contract) or just their Tier 1 customer technical support? I would not be surprised at all if their outsourced Tier 1 agents had no idea about the bug.

Whether you choose to believe me or not is up to you. I work with several Adobe Partner companies who have access to the internal bug database. If I didn't value Adobe's privacy so much, I would post the bug number for you. It is a known bug in their internal database that was fixed in the Designer ES release. How much time and money you want to waste on Tier 1 Support before upgrading is entirely up to you.
                      • 8. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
                        Level 1
                        PDL,

First, you have helped me in the past and I value your judgment. Please dont think that I doubt you. Last night, I probably was talking to a Tier 1 customer support. Not too sure. My issue is that I am pressed for a solution now. I saw that the link you provided would mail me the upgrade disk and is not something I can download. I do think that it is crazy to have to pay to address a basic software design issue. In the end, I only care about the tabbing bug flaw and not the other things that an upgrade disk is providing.

Maybe there is a way to download the upgrade.

Thanks,

Keith.
                        • 9. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
                          Level 1
                          PDL:

I have one more question, my software is runing on XP and Designer LifeCycle came with the Adobe Acrobat Suite package. I never purchased the LifeCycle ES. Would that not mean that the upgrade will not accept my version since it is not the full blown version i.e. LifeCycle Designer Enterprise Suite?

Keith.
                          • 10. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
                            Patrick Leckey Level 3
                            You will have to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, choose your Acrobat installation and click Remove button. When the Acrobat Uninstall comes up one of the options is to "Modify" - chose that and remove the Acrobat-installed version of Designer, leaving the rest of your Acrobat install alone. Then you can install your Designer Upgrade, which will simply check to make sure you have a licensed copy of Acrobat Professional before installing Designer ES.

It's also LiveCycle, Adobe does not make any products titled LifeCycle.
                            • 11. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
                              Level 1
                              PDL:

I received my Upgrade CD today. Loaded the upgrade so now I am using Adobe Life Cycle Designer ES ver 8.1.1.2188.1.406459. Went through the entire tabbing process and I still have the issue.........

Do you have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong here? I have been thinking about this problem and what I did before having it. The only thing I did was insert 4 Numeric objects on various pages. It is these objects that I am tabbing into even though I never tab ordered them.

Keith. :-(
                              • 12. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
                                Patrick Leckey Level 3
                                Have you set <field>.access = "protected"; in JavaScript?  You can do this during the docReady event.
                                • 13. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
                                  Level 1
                                  PDL:

That solved my issue! :-)

So much time I spent on it, but still does not make sense why it was doing it in the first place. I was even using the "Hold down Ctrl+Shift" to drop the field from the tab order sequence, then tab ordering from scratch.. Nothing seemed to work. Oh well, I will let that one go once I have a beer in my hand....

Thanks for the input and at the end of the day I do like the upgrade it has a nicer feel to it.

Have a great weekend!

Keith
                                  • 14. Re: Tabbing Issues  - Designer LifeCycle 8.0
                                    Patrick Leckey Level 3
                                    Well, getting that scripting to work was part of the update. That is the only way to remove a field from the tab order, but the particular property wasn't saved properly in 8.0.5.