3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2008 6:17 AM by (Sabian_Zildjian)

disable all informations (popups, alerts etc.) during batch process

Hey! I'm using Acrobat 6.0 and the open all batch process to convert various office documents. For each document I have to agree to some alerts like "The document was changed. Do you want to save it" or "Acrobat can't save bookmarks beacause..." - or something like that... I think everybody can imagine what I mean and it doesn't matter what exactly is the content of these popups...

My question: Is there a posibility to turn off all these messages? Maybe with some lines of JavaScript Code? Or pipe these messages to a text file instead of showing it on the screen?
        • 1. Re: disable all informations (popups, alerts etc.) during batch process
          Level 1
          Depends on what you mean by "batch process". If you mean that you have a JS function that you have created and that is executed with a custom menu item, probably not. You can try to catch them but it's a hit and miss proposition. If you are using the actual feature Advanced>Batch Processing... then you need to set the "Save warnings and errors in log file" preference in Edit>Preferences>Batch Processing.

Rocky
          • 2. Re: disable all informations (popups, alerts etc.) during batch process
            Level 1
            Thanks for your answer. I mean both things, although I haven't yet a JS function so I prefer the feature Batch Processing which is part of Acrobat 6.0

Unfortunately the "Save warnings and errors in log file" preference doesn't work. I think the problem is, that these errors are special Batch Error. But this isn't what I mean...

I will now describe exactly my problem. I'm using Acrobat 6.0 and MS Excel 2003. With several Makros I created special Excel files. With some (not all) tables in the Excel file I made a group (because I want to convert only these tables...)

When I start the batch processing, the following messages appears (which I have to accept or deny... this is exactly what I want to disappear because with these messages I haven't any automatism or real "batch processing"....)

1. After starting the batch process, first message...
            ::Acrobat PDFMaker::
            Acrobat PDFMaker have to save the document before continue. Should PDFMaker save this document and continue?

2. ...and then after some seconds...
            ::Acrobat PDFMaker::
            'Name of my table' - Acrobat PDFMaker can make Tags, Bookmarks and Links only for tables with the printable area "Whole Table". Delete in the section "Page settings" the field "printable are" to avoid this problem.
            Would you like to continue and create a PDF File without Tags?

3. .. and finally Excel also have a message for me:
            ::Microsoft Excel::
            Save all changes in 'Name of my Excel file'?

After that the first PDF is successfully created. Then it happens something really strange. I can see in my Acrobat the little window with:

'Name of my Excel File', 2 from 2
            (-a progress bar is shown with 50%-)
            Please wait. Adobe PDF is making.: 100%

and then i can wait and wait and wait... But nothing more wil happens! :(

Any idea to solve these problems?
            To implement the batch processing feature in an own JS function... How difficult is it? Are there any examples/experiences? And the most important thing: can i really disappear the popup messages?

Thanks and sorry for my english... ;)
            • 3. Re: disable all informations (popups, alerts etc.) during batch process
              Level 1
              OK, let us begin with the first thing that you need to know.
              - PDFMaker is not nor has it ever been supported for development to my knowledge.

- Next, just turn off tagging in the PDFMaker Conversion settings to get rid of that dialog that asks you about proceeding without tagging. You will not get any tagging but it sounds like you don't really care if the PDF is tagged or not.

-The Excel message has nothing to do with Acrobat and there is no Acrobat API that can help. Look into Excel's VBA API to do this for you.

- Unfortunately there is no way to get rid of the progress bar because well there is no API to do so in the Acrobat SDK.

- The failure of the PDF to generate is different. Does that happen if you just click the PDFMaker button in Excel too? Do you have any locked fields? If so unlock them.

Now to answer the other questions:
              To implement the batch processing feature in an own JS function... How difficult is it?
              - Can't really do this via a simple JS function.

Are there any examples/experiences?
              - Experiences? Yes, and I can honestly say don't go there.

...can i really disappear the popup messages?
              No, not really.

You might want to look at LiveCycle ES (PDF Generator) which does all of what you want.

http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/

Sabian