3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2008 8:56 AM by gkaiseril

Prevent/Cancel Printing

Level 1
      Is there a way to prevent or cancel printing in Acrobat 8 or 9. I have an existing form in Acrobat that I've been asked to prevent users from printing before required fields have been filled out.

I've seen Stefans work around (http://forms.stefcameron.com/2008/04/13/prevent-printing-pdf-forms-in-acrobat-8/) unfortunately transferring the form to livecycle strips out the existing javascript.

If there is not a way to prevent printing is there a way (possibly using some script in the "document will print" action to present the user with a warning and a continue Y/N upon pressing no would cancel the print job?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
        • 1. Re: Prevent/Cancel Printing
          Patrick Leckey Level 3
          There is no way to cancel a user initiated print request from Acrobat JavsScript, you can only pop up an additional warning from WillPrint if all required fields have no been filled out. Once the warning is closed, the print request will continue.
          • 2. Re: Prevent/Cancel Printing
            (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
            There is no way to prevent printing of a printable file.
            You CAN put out a warning that what they are printing is incomplete.
            You CAN arrange to have a printable field like a big "INCOMPLETE"
            banner which you, in JavaScript, hide when all fields are complete.

Aandi Inston
            • 3. Re: Prevent/Cancel Printing
              gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              When a user request to print in initiated by JavaScript or the menu item, the "Will Print" document action will be run. At this time one can manipulate fields, water marks, alerts, etc. So one could have a hidden field which could be set to printalbe if there was any required field not completed and this printable field would then be printed. The same field could then be hidden again by the "Did Print" document action.