4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2008 6:02 PM by gkaiseril

List Box Limitations?

Level 1
      I'm using Acrobat Pro 8 on a Mac Leopard OS

Is there a limit as to how many entries a list box can hold?

I'll probably end up with about 150 entries as part of a medical history form and the list box would repeat with each recordset.

Ideally, once I learn more, I'd like the recordset to repeat with unique fields as the user requires.
        • 1. Re: List Box Limitations?
          Patrick Leckey Level 3
          I'm not aware of any theoretical limit to the number of entries, but if there is one it would be a lot higher than 150. If you've only got 150 entries in the list box, you'll be fine.
          • 2. Re: List Box Limitations?
            Level 1
            In that case, I have a problem. I've typed in a number of my entries...maybe half and now it refused to allow me to add anymore.

In List Box Properties under Options, when I type (or paste) in my next entry, it automatically enters the entry into the Export Value box and greys out the Add button.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong???
            • 3. Re: List Box Limitations?
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional
              They used to say the limit was quite low, someting less than 100, but it wasn't enforced by the user interface like you're describing, at least on Windows. I seem to recall it involved a performance issue with older Macs.

Anyway, as a test, try setting up a button and place the following code in the Mouse Up event:

var f1 = getField("list1");

var array1 = [];
              for (var i = 0; i < 1000; i++) {
              array1[i] = "This is item " + i;
              }

f1.clearItems();
              f1.setItems(array1);

Where "list1" is the name of a list box on your form. For me with Acrobat 9 in WinXP, this loads all 1000 items. The UI acts a bit weird when I try to edit any of the items, however.

So, a solution may be to use JavaScript to load the values. You can also use an FDF file for this, which is what I often do.

George
              • 4. Re: List Box Limitations?
                gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                You will also have to make sure that you have unique export values for each item.