4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2009 11:49 AM by rbilleaud

Adjust to Display at Machine's Resolution

rbilleaud
      Is there any way to make RoboHelp automatically recognize different screen resolutions and automatically adjust the page to display correctly? The layout I created looks fine on my screen, but is too large on my bosses PC.
        • 1. Re: Adjust to Display at Machine's Resolution
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Welcome to our community, rbilleaud

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are wanting. Can you perhaps post a couple of screen captures? One where things look fine and another where they go wonky?

HTML is HTML and RoboHelp doesn't really do anything with the layout. So I'm a bit confused.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Adjust to Display at Machine's Resolution
            rbilleaud Level 1
            Yeah sure. Since I can't paste them directly into this reply, you can view them here: http://www.geocities.com/rbilleaud/Private/frontpages.htm

frontpage1 is at my resolution 1280x1024 and frontpage2 is at 1152x864. I'm using RoboHelp to create conventional web pages rather than traditional help pages because it's a quick and easy way to get the results I want without having to build my own .css files, etc. It's especially good for creating image maps without the pain. May be nothing I can do in RoboHelp, but I know FrontPage will automatically adjust for different sceen resolutions and adjust pages to fit.
            • 3. Re: Adjust to Display at Machine's Resolution
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Hi again

Thanks for the images. They help.

I stand to be corrected here, but I believe you are wanting what is called a "fluid layout". Now I have no clue as to exactly how you achieved what you did. Some would opt for CSS to do this and some would opt for using tables. If it's FrontPage, I think it used tables. In RoboHelp, assuming you used tables, you would try right-clicking the table and adjusting the properties to percentages or possibly just Auto-Fit to contents.

Then there are the images. If you had simple images, you could insert the image with no sizing information. That may work, not sure. I might think the image would adjust accordingly, but it might not. You will have to jump through hoops to do this in RoboHelp, as it always insists on inserting the sizing parameters. Not sure how that would factor in with image maps either.

Normally when I design a page, I simply design so it looks appropriate in the smallest common denominator.

Hopefully others here will pitch in and offer their own insights and preferences.

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Adjust to Display at Machine's Resolution
                rbilleaud Level 1
                Thanks for the help. "Fluid layout" sounds about right and I hadn't even considered what resizing might mean for the images. As you can tell, I'm not what you'd call an expert in web design, I'm a technical writer by training and ended up being in a position to design this web site because basically no one else wanted to do it. I'm competent in RoboHelp and I knew it could be used to design web pages if you leave out all the Help navigation stuff. It's worked pretty well up to this point - at least for my purposes.