Level 1
      Hi all

How much IDML is useful???
        • 1. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant
          As much as you can handle.
          • 2. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
            frameexpert Level 4
            I recently had an index with part numbers and UPC codes. Some of the UPC codes were incorrect so I had the client output the correct part numbers and UPC codes to a csv file. I saved the index to IDML and used grep in a text editor to find each part number and look up the correct UPC from the CSV file. After updating appropriate XML file from the IDML, I reopened it in InDesign and had my updated index.

I could have done this directly in the InDesign file with JavaScript, but I found it easier to do it on the XML file form the IDML file.

Rick Quatro
            • 3. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
              Level 1
              Let's say I create a little document and type "Hello World" into it.

I export as IDML and the result is a zip file (with the .idml extension). So I unzip it, find the stories.xml file and change the content to "Hello Ducky".

Now, what do I use to reconstitute the zip file? Using Leopard's Create Archive does seem to work.

Dave
              • 4. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
                Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                Rename the .hdml file to .zip, then use any program that can create/change zip files (Stuffit. etc) and put the xml back into the zip file, then rename .zip back to .hdml.

Peter
                • 5. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
                  Dirk Becker  Level 4
                  You could use the command line (Terminal.app)

Assuming you have a folder INX on your desktop, with a file test.idml

This will extract the IDML into a folder "test":
                  unzip /Users/dave/Desktop/INX/test.idml -d /Users/dave/Desktop/INX/test

In OSX terminal.app you can use drag&drop instead of typing file names.
                  The option "-d" specifies the output folder. If you omit that, all the archive files will end up in your home directory.

This will rebuild the IDML:

cd /Users/dave/Desktop/INX/test
                  zip -r ../test2.idml *

The cd into the folder is required because this way the files will have the correct relative paths.
                  The option "-r" means recursive - add also the files contained within folders.

If you have the oXygen XML editor, go to Preferences/Archive, there add an entry for the ".idml" extension. Then oXygen can open IDML without going thru the unzip/zip cycle.

Dirk
                  • 6. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
                    Harbs. Level 6
                    Here's how to do it with scripting (my preferred method)...

function ExpandIDML(fromIDMLFile){//Expands an IDML file into folder format
                      if(! fromIDMLFile){return null}
                      var fullName = fromIDMLFile.fullName;
                      fullName = fullName.replace(/\.idml/,"");
                      var toFolder = new Folder( fullName );
                      app.unpackageUCF( fromIDMLFile, toFolder );
                      return toFolder;
                      }

function CreateIDML(fromFolder){//Produces an IDML package from the contents of a directory:
                      if(!fromFolder){return null}
                      var fullName = fromFolder.fullName;
                      var toIDMLFile = new File( fullName+".idml" );
                      app.packageUCF( fromFolder, toIDMLFile );
                      return toIDMLFile;
                      }
                    • 7. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
                      sstanleyau Level 4
                      On 24/2/09 7:17 PM, "Dirk Becker" <member@adobeforums.com> wrote:<br /><br />> You could use the command line (Terminal.app)<br /><br />C'mon, this is supposed to be a scripting forum, not the place to do things<br />the hard way ;-)<br /><br />Save this as a script app from Script Editor:<br /><br />on open filelist<br />    repeat with anitem in filelist<br />        set filePath to anitem as text<br />        set theSource to quoted form of POSIX path of filePath<br />        if (filePath ends with ".idml") then -- unzip<br />            set theDest to quoted form of POSIX path of ((text 1 thru -6 of<br />filePath) & ":")<br />            do shell script ("ditto -x -k " & theSource & " " & theDest)<br />        else if filePath ends with ":" then -- zip up<br />            set theDest to quoted form of POSIX path of ((text 1 thru -2 of<br />filePath) & "+.idml")<br />            do shell script ("ditto -c -k --norsrc --noextattr " & theSource<br />& " " & theDest)<br />        end if<br />    end repeat<br />end open<br /><br />Drag .idml files on to it and they'll be unzipped; drag folders, and they'll<br />be converted to .idml (with a + before the extension to distinguish them<br />from the originals).<br /><br />-- <br />Shane Stanley <sstanley@myriad-com.com.au><br />AppleScript Pro Sessions <a href=http://scriptingmatters.com/aspro>
                      • 8. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
                        Harbs. Level 6
                        Shane_Stanley@adobeforums.com wrote:<br />> C'mon, this is supposed to be a scripting forum, not the place to do things<br />> the hard way ;-)<br />>   <br /><br />Yeah, but it's an *InDesign* scripting forum, so we shouldn't be <br />dragging and dropping at all... <VGB><br /><br />-- <br />Harbs<br />http://www.in-tools.com
                        • 9. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
                          Dirk Becker  Level 4
                          Teaching an old dog new tricks ...

Thanks to Harbs for pointing out the packageUCF/unpackageUCF methods. They are missing from the ESTK object model, at least mine. I first thought you were using a plugin until I found them covered in the IDML cookbook ...

Also thanks to Shane for the droplet (I'm sometimes too quick with Terminal), besides I learned you could use "ditto" instead of zip/unzip.

Dirk
                          • 10. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
                            Harbs. Level 6
                            Dirk_Becker@adobeforums.com wrote:
                            > Thanks to Harbs for pointing out the packageUCF/unpackageUCF methods. They are missing from the ESTK object model, at least mine.
                            >

Hmm. So they are! I never tried looking in the OMV for them. Would you
                            like to report that, or should I?

--
                            Harbs
                            http://www.in-tools.com
                            • 11. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
                              Harbs. Level 6
                              Dave,

How 'bout making this thread sticky? This info is a bit difficult to
                              cull from the IDML docs...

--
                              Harbs
                              • 12. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
                                Harbs. Level 6
                                I take that back. It *is* there in the OMV. Right after "open" and after
                                "undo"...

I'm not sure how I missed it before...

--
                                Harbs
                                • 13. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
                                  [fhcon]ohaeuser Level 1

Actually IDML is quite useful - especially if you want to do quality checks

or modify content outside of Indesign ... maybe over a basic web interface

for translations ...

We do have quite a lot of ideas and got a lot of requests concerning our

Java Library for IDML called IDMLlib.

Cheers,

Oliver

ohaeuser@fhcon.de

http://idmllib.com

• 14. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
                                    EliezerReis Level 1

I'm making some tests with IDML but I have a doubt about it. Ok, I can export the IDML from my INDD and make some changes that I think intersting, but how can I import these changes made in IDML to the original INDD?

Thanks.

• 15. Re: IDML is it useful???????????
                                      ArcRaj Level 1

Just open the IDML from InDesign, and you can see the modifications directly in the InDesign file.

Thanks,

ArcRaj