3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 12:02 PM by studioj

ID CS4: Can file import options be forced?

studioj
      I have a scripted ID Cs4 app that I am using to construct books that are made from a library of PDF files. The library has files coming from various sources and as a result all PDFs are not created with a uniform definition of bounding box. I have found that if I import my files with the "cropbox" option enabled, all is well. However, I have also found that it's easy for ID to be "reset" to use "boundingbox" as the means of import and this wreaks havoc on my layouts. Is there any way that I can force ID to use the cropbox method of import when I invoke it?
        • 1. Re: ID CS4: Can file import options be forced?
          Level 1
          you need to set PDFPlacePreference(s) before you place PDF page

Class PDFPlacePreference
          Member of InDesign
          PDF place preferences

and:

Property PDFCrop As idPDFCrop
          Member of InDesign.PDFPlacePreference
          Specifies how much of the PDF page to place

where:

Const idCropArt = 1131573313 (&H43727041)
          Member of InDesign.idPDFCrop
          Places only the area defined by the PDF author as placeable artwork
          Const idCropBleed = 1131573314 (&H43727042)
          Places only the area that represents where all page content should be clipped
          Const idCropContent = 1131573315 (&H43727043)
          places the page's bounding box
          Const idCropMedia = 1131573325 (&H4372704D)
          Places the area that represents the physical paper size of the original PDF document
          Const idCropPDF = 1131573328 (&H43727050)
          Places only the area that is displayed by Adobe Acrobat
          Const idCropTrim = 1131573332 (&H43727054)
          Places only the are that represents the final trim size of the document

robin

--
          www.adobescripts.com
          • 2. Re: ID CS4: Can file import options be forced?
            studioj Level 1
            Thanks for the detailed suggestion and response. I was thinking that the import option would be something I could set at the program level but apparently from your response this is something that is set at the time of import (as it would be if one were manually placing the page). As it happens, I use the emsoftware plugin called indata for the actual page placement script. Perhaps I have to inquire of them whether I can force the same behavior when placing pages using their script.
            • 3. Re: ID CS4: Can file import options be forced?
              studioj Level 1
              The indata plugin does not support the modality of crop or bounding box selection. The solution I am leaning toward is to use the script above to open a blank document and force the page placement mode prior to using my indata plugin on each invocation. Thanks again for the clear response.