2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2009 11:02 AM by Seth McGraw

Remove Unused Colors?

Seth McGraw Level 1
      When "Remove Unused Colors" is run from the Swatches panel, it performs the deletion in a fraction of a second, however when written into a script it seems to take in some cases minutes to complete.

Is this a symptom of how the script interacts with the app, therefore making it impossible to solve? or is there a way to efficiently write it to improve performance?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Remove Unused Colors?
          Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          What does your script look like?

Peter
          • 2. Re: Remove Unused Colors?
            Seth McGraw Level 1
            It's about 1000 lines give or take and covers an entire workflow, so I won't post it, but I'll explain more in detail.

The user will choose a template to create based on a number of selection criteria spanning several dialogs, one of which includes color. If the user chooses the "problem" selections, the colors from a pre-prepared indd document are loaded, which contains the entire Pantone Solid Coated library. This loads ok and the removal of these colors aren't so bad. It's when the user needs the metallics library in conjunction with solid coated that causes the problem. When deleting the unused after both libraries are in the document, there is a significant increase in run-time. Running the command from within indesign cs3 however takes less than a second.

The perfect scenario would be to find the proper color in the proper library and simply just load that color when chosen, but I don't know if it is even possible. If it is, I have no clue how to do it.

Seth