5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2009 3:41 PM by scottjwood

Merging table rows, separating each row with a " | " character

scottjwood Level 1
      I'm hoping someone can help me out with this! I have very basic scripting experience and I've been beating my head against my keyboard trying to figure this out.

I'm working on a catalog for a company where all the data for the products in coming into InDesign using Easy Catalog. My problem is that the company entered the data(and lots of it!) into the database slightly wrong.

In order to import the data, I have to use a table with 1 column to import the data, then easy catalog adds a table row for each line of info. Each page would have approximately 8 tables, each with a variable number of table rows.

The data is basically a bullet list, but they don't want it displayed as such. Instead it would be like this "item1 | item2 | item3 | item4". So I'm trying to figure out how to create a script that runs through and entire document, merges every table into a single line text, separating the data in each row with the " | " character. I'm using CS3. Much thanks to anyone that can help!