8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2006 10:12 AM by Newsgroup_User

Curves - Learning to Use Them Well

Level 7
      I have learned FW and most of the live effects well enough to suit my needs
      except for one area. I have long watched as others wield the curves effect
      to bring fantastic results to their designs. One who did this well was
      richiebee, but he is long gone. All of the experts just say experiment
      more, which is usually the real ticket, but I am only getting a mess when I
      use curves. Are there any tutorials, or is anyone willing to offer one, on
      stepping through a real-world application or two and explaining why the
      particular curve positioning were made? Or have general pointers. Beyond
      brightening a photo, the complex curve concept seems too abstract to really
      understand how to use it well.

Many thanks,
      Tony

• 1. Re: Curves - Learning to Use Them Well
          Level 7
          There are several over at Community MX Tony.

Jim Babbage has several and here's one by Kim Cavanaugh

http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=9FF0F

Peter
          "Anthony Bollinger" <tonyb2006@NEVERsendto.org> wrote in message
          news:e69djf$1lm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          |I have learned FW and most of the live effects well enough to suit my needs
          | except for one area. I have long watched as others wield the curves
          effect
          | to bring fantastic results to their designs. One who did this well was
          | richiebee, but he is long gone. All of the experts just say experiment
          | more, which is usually the real ticket, but I am only getting a mess when
          I
          | use curves. Are there any tutorials, or is anyone willing to offer one,
          on
          | stepping through a real-world application or two and explaining why the
          | particular curve positioning were made? Or have general pointers. Beyond
          | brightening a photo, the complex curve concept seems too abstract to
          really
          | understand how to use it well.
          |
          | Many thanks,
          | Tony
          |
          |

• 2. Re: Curves - Learning to Use Them Well
            llamaparsnip
            Think of curves as adjusting the lightness of a particular pixel in an image. If you look at the curves graph, original values are plotted on the horizontal axis and new values are plotted on the vertical axis. If you pick a point (x) on the curve and drag it down, you will be darkening all pixels that have a lightness= x. If instead you drag up, you will be lightening all pixels that have a lightness= x. The further you drag, you more you lighten/darken.
            • 3. Re: Curves - Learning to Use Them Well
              Level 7
              llamaparsnip wrote:
              > Think of curves as adjusting the lightness of a particular pixel in an image.
              > If you look at the curves graph, original values are plotted on the horizontal
              > axis and new values are plotted on the vertical axis. If you pick a point (x)
              > on the curve and drag it down, you will be darkening all pixels that have a
              > lightness= x. If instead you drag up, you will be lightening all pixels that
              > have a lightness= x. The further you drag, you more you lighten/darken.
              >

Another key point with curves is to keep your changes small. Large
              change to the Curve have dramatic - and at times undesired - results.

On CMX, Tom Green also has a good series on color correction that makes
              use of curves.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
              • 4. Re: Curves - Learning to Use Them Well
                Level 7
                Looks like I got my answer, which is to join CMX. I have been thinking
                about it for a year now, I guess its time to jump on. Is CMX still going
                strong for the foreseeable future? Is the MX still applicable or is that
                going to change?

Thanks for the replies,
                Tony

• 5. Re: Curves - Learning to Use Them Well
                  Level 7
                  Anthony Bollinger wrote:
                  > Looks like I got my answer, which is to join CMX. I have been thinking
                  > about it for a year now, I guess its time to jump on. Is CMX still going
                  > strong for the foreseeable future? Is the MX still applicable or is that
                  > going to change?
                  >
                  > Thanks for the replies,
                  > Tony
                  >
                  >

Hi Anthony:

We're still going strong, still two pieces of new content every business
                  day and I see no end in site. :-) As for the name, I can't be
                  definitive on that, but it's sticking for now. Name change or not, we're
                  still still happily moving along. :-)

If your MX concern is regarding the freshness of our content, I can say
                  100% that we're producing content for the latest version of the Studio
                  as well as content for other Adobe products such as GoLive, Photoshop,
                  and Illustrator.

I look forward to seeing you in the forums. :-)

--
                  Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                  Extending Knowledge, Daily
                  http://www.communityMX.com/
                  CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                  http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                  ---
                  .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                  news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                  news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                  • 6. Re: Curves - Learning to Use Them Well
                    Level 7
                    Start here for a great explanation ... for Photoshop, not Fireworks, but the
                    principles are the same. If you have a lot of photo work todo FW is probably
                    not the best program...
                    http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_55/essay.html
                    --
                    Eleanor T. Culling
                    Leavenworth, WA
                    Enjoy my photography at
                    www.eleanorstravels.com
                    "Anthony Bollinger" <tonyb2006@NEVERsendto.org> wrote in message
                    news:e69djf$1lm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I have learned FW and most of the live effects well enough to suit my needs
                    >except for one area. I have long watched as others wield the curves effect
                    >to bring fantastic results to their designs. One who did this well was
                    >richiebee, but he is long gone. All of the experts just say experiment
                    >more, which is usually the real ticket, but I am only getting a mess when I
                    >use curves. Are there any tutorials, or is anyone willing to offer one, on
                    >stepping through a real-world application or two and explaining why the
                    >particular curve positioning were made? Or have general pointers. Beyond
                    >brightening a photo, the complex curve concept seems too abstract to really
                    >understand how to use it well.
                    >
                    > Many thanks,
                    > Tony
                    >

• 7. Curves - Learning to Use Them Well
                      ageofem
                      quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                      I have learned FW and most of the live effects well enough to suit my needs
                      except for one area. I have long watched as others wield the curves effect
                      to bring fantastic results to their designs. One who did this well was
                      richiebee, but he is long gone. All of the experts just say experiment
                      more, which is usually the real ticket, but I am only getting a mess when I
                      use curves. Are there any tutorials, or is anyone willing to offer one, on
                      stepping through a real-world application or two and explaining why the
                      particular curve positioning were made? Or have general pointers. Beyond
                      brightening a photo, the complex curve concept seems too abstract to really
                      understand how to use it well.

Many thanks,
                      Tony

---------------------------------------------------------------

yes its true, u have to experiment more to see if the effect is done right, its not a fixed effect like most fireworks live filters, its more like trial and error to fit whats best. view this tutorial on changing rain , to understand how the curve effect is applied >>> http://www.fireworksguru.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=505 , and oh btw if you do a lot of photomanips , here are two works to show you that it is possible , http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/4372054/ , http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/3330899/ , if you have any questions, i could help you.
                      • 8. Re: Curves - Learning to Use Them Well
                        Level 7
                        Many thanks, I will keep that in mind next time I need something up that
                        alley. -- Tony