6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2009 11:43 PM by MDIBozza

Preventing Dialogs From Popping Up

Hello -

I'm sequentially opening, processing, and closing a number of InDesign CS3 documents using AppleScript. Each document uses different fonts so before opening each document I clear out the ~/Library/Fonts folder and load it with fonts for the next document.

Occasionally as a document is opening a modal box titled "Missing Fonts" pops up with the message "The document "xxx.indd" uses one or more fonts which are not currently available on your system. The text will use a substitute font until the original font becomes available." along with a list of missing fonts. How do I prevent this from popping up and disrupting the script?

http://support.adobe.com/devsup/devsup.nsf/docs/51471.htm

says to use

set user interaction level to never interact

which I tried but I get the message "Can't set «class UIAc» of application "Adobe InDesign CS3" to «constant elnteNvr»." That page appears to only go as far as CS2, so I checked the CS3 scripting dictionary which indicates

set user interaction level of script preferences to never interact

When I use this (at the Adobe InDesign CS3 application level) no error message appears but the Missing Fonts dialog still shows up.

Any ideas on how to prevent this? Thanks very much...
        • 1. Re: Preventing Dialogs From Popping Up
          Level 1
          Hi ddaanntt,

In CS3, use:

set user interaction level of script preferences to never interact

The property moved into the script preferences object on the application object. Make sure you set it back to
          interact with all

when you're done.

Thanks,

Ole
          • 2. Re: Preventing Dialogs From Popping Up
            sstanleyau Level 4
            Are you using a third-party font manager plug-in? That might be what's<br />showing the dialog.<br /><br />-- <br />Shane Stanley <sstanley@myriad-com.com.au><br />AppleScript Pro Sessions <a href=http://scriptingmatters.com/aspro>
            • 3. Re: Preventing Dialogs From Popping Up
              Level 1
              Ole -

Thanks, but that's exactly what I have in the script at the moment - in these apparently sporadic cases it doesn't seem to take effect.

Shane -

It looks like none of the plug-ins are third party and I don't have Suitcase or Font Reserve or any of those things loaded, but next time it appears (which shouldn't be too long from now) I'll pay closer attention to the title bar - thanks, hope that reveals something.

Appreciate the input very much...
              • 4. Re: Preventing Dialogs From Popping Up
                Level 1
                On further review, I see in other forums that I'm not alone with this - it has to do with missing fonts and prompting for whether to substitute the default or to locate the originals.

The only solution I've found offered is the GUI System Events keystroke one which doesn't seem to work for me, and since this script is to be run unattended on any of dozens of Macs in our department if I did get it working for me it probably wouldn't work elsewhere.

For the record, the message is "The document xxx.indd uses one or more fonts which are not currently available on your system. The text will use a substitute font until the original font becomes available." and then presents "Find Font..." and "OK" buttons. I've found maybe 5 or 6 reported instances of this and no one indicates they're using any font handling packages so I'm guessing this is strictly Adobe.

Anyhow, just hoping someone has a magic bullet for this other than a GUI approach.

Thanks for reading.
                • 5. Re: Preventing Dialogs From Popping Up
                  pollyfusia

oops. wrong forum

• 6. Re: Preventing Dialogs From Popping Up
                    MDIBozza

@Adobe: Is there a bugfix in process of planning to suppress the missing font dialog in scripting????