4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2009 4:29 PM by L. Guy O'Rojo

[CS3] Need an advice : pure XML, pure Javascript or both ?

Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional
      Hi all,
      I am trying to help someone on a automation process.
      However, I get to a point where I need some bright advice.

Here is the point.

We start from a xml workflow for a catalogue. Each major entries consist in a logo placement, some text and can contain a extra picture too.

A page is divided in 4 vertical blocks. The minimum that a block can contain is the logo & text. So we can have a page filled with 4 entries.

But some entries can consists in one block for the logo & text and one up to 3 blocks for the extra pictures.

They may be a few entries consisting in one 4blocks picture without text& logo.

To spice the thing up, we want to flow the datas based on this concept :
      "If you can place an entry, do. If you don't have space, go to next page".
      It's like a tetris workflow.

Basically XML should do the trick but I can't success dealing with the variant extra pictures and the placement of all the pageitems.

So I think I can conceive a script. But I am afraid it's a bit complex, long to process and absolutely not as flexible as xml for updating the datas.

I have been starting writing it but before spending a lot of time on it, I wanted your advices.

Sorry for the length of the message, I tried to sum the things up as easy as possible.

Loic