17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2009 10:59 AM by Olav Martin Kvern

How to batch print indesign files to ps?

LinusWang
      In Windows OS,

I have a lot indesign files needed to print to postscript files -->PDF.

I tried to include them together in a book file and print them multiply, but it turned out that the page information just displayed the book's name, not every document's info.

How could I achieve the goal through scirpting?

p.s.
      I just hope zevrix's BatchOutput has a Windows version.
        • 1. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
          Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/batch_convert.html

Peter
          • 2. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
            LinusWang Level 1
            Thanks Peter, but the script cannot export *.ps files unfrotunately.
            • 3. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
              Kasyan Servetsky Level 5
              http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1254518#

I'm not sure if this is what you need, but this script can batch export all open documents to ps-file.

Kasyan
              • 4. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                LinusWang Level 1
                Dear Kasyan Servetsky, I am afraid you mis-understood my request, I want to batch print mutliple documents to individual ps files, not print a single InDesign file to individual page ps files.
                • 5. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                  Kasyan Servetsky Level 5
                  You can open all documents you need to print. Select 'Batch Export Enabled' checkbox and make sure 'Start[-End] page' to all.
                  • 6. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                    Level 1
                    Hi oryou119,

Why are you writing PS to disk and then converting to PDF? This is not the recommended workflow. InDesign's direct PDF export is the preferred workflow.

Thanks,

Ole
                    • 7. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                      LinusWang Level 1
                      Thanks! Kasyan Servetsky, I didn't study well in the script.

It really works!
                      • 8. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                        LinusWang Level 1
                        Hi Olav Kvern,

It was just a workflow we have to obey...
                        • 9. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                          Kasyan Servetsky Level 5
                          > InDesign's direct PDF export is the preferred workflow.

I was using direct pdf-export without encountering any problems until we switched to CS3 version, in which our designers started using effects extensively. That's when troubles with pdf-export began:
                          some objects, with an effect applied, looked in pdf-file totally differently then in InDesign document,
                          some of the objects were loosing their applied effects during direct pdf-export. But this didn’t happen when I created pdf-files with Distiller, so I had to remake my ‘Export each page to PDF-file’ into ‘Print each page to PS-file’. BTW my testing showed that it takes the same time to make a pdf-file by first creating PS-file and then distilling it as by exporting it directly. I wonder if anybody experienced the same problems or I’m the only one out of luck.

Kasyan
                          • 10. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                            Tony Tuneson

I have exactly the same experience (CS3, Windows).

PDF Export just refuses to process certain pages, while printing to Distiller results in perfect PDFs. I can't predict when this happens and it seems to be happening with certain documents only. I tried to convert to INX and back, to no avail.

But printing via "Distiller"/"Adobe PDF" works just as fine and often results in smaller (better optimized) files. Drawback is that I can't control the filenames for the outputted PDFs when printing, that has to be done afterwards.

Tony

• 11. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                              Kasyan Servetsky Level 5
                              Drawback is that I can't control the filenames for the outputted PDFs when printing, that has to be done afterwards.

Nothing of the kind! You can set whatever filenames you like when you save PS-files by script (see posts above).

Kasyan

• 12. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                                Tony Tuneson Level 1

Thanks, I never got into that. Because the PDF-export didn't work, I didn't trust the PS export either.

Printing always worked (and I already have an app in place that distributes printed PDF files to the right jobfolders).

Do you create the PS files in watched folders or do you script Distiller to do it's job after making the PS-file? Or do you have a great solution that I did not think of?

Tony

• 13. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                                  SuperMacGuy Level 2

I'd like to very politely ask Olav, Dov, and anyone else to not question why any of us need to Postscript > PDF versus export a PDF directly from InDesign. I, and numerous others, have requirements of our workflow or output that we can't change, or technical problems that are only overcome by PS-PDFing. I understand that you also may want to inform others that direct PDF export might be better, that's OK too. So we're cool.

@Kasyan- at my office we still PS-PDF because some of our print providers can't handle PDFs with transparency. All I can do is ask them to please upgrade or fix their RIPs. And then I wait. And continue to PS-PDF until they can take exported PDFs.

Thanks!

• 14. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                                    Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

Do you create the PS files in watched folders or do you script Distiller to do it's job after making the PS-file? Or do you have a great solution that I did not think of?

Tony,

My script saves ps-files into the hot folder – it’s always the same. Then Distiller automatically processes them and deletes original ps-files. The script also remembers the last set of files that was exported (every page is exported to a separate file). Finally, when distiller finishes its job, I run another script – just press a button – and it labels these files (so that I could distinguish my files from the files created by my coworker) and opens them in acrobat. I am too lazy to select them in Finder, label and double click.

Kasyan

• 15. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                                      Tony Tuneson Level 1

Then we have more or less the same setup. I also let my script check when the PDF is ready; it saves the click of a button.

• 16. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                                        Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I think it is better to produce pdf from indd without Distiller to avoid postscript.

Another way to produce PDFs from multiple INDDs is to do it from Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.+.

I hope I translate it back to English well:

File > Create PDF > Batch creation from multiple files …

You need to have installed ID and ACR Pro.

• 17. Re: How to batch print indesign files to ps?
                                          Olav Martin Kvern Level 3

SuperMacGuy wrote: "I'd like to very politely ask Olav, Dov, and anyone else to not question why any of us need to Postscript > PDF versus export a PDF directly from InDesign. I, and numerous others, have requirements of our workflow or output that we can't change, or technical problems that are only overcome by PS-PDFing. I understand that you also may want to inform others that direct PDF export might be better, that's OK too."

As long as I know that it's a requirement for a particular poster, I won't bring it up (though I might forget from time to time). You'll note that as soon as the original poster wrote: "It was just a workflow we have to obey... " I did not press the matter any further.

But it's a widespread and false assumption that deserves challenging, so I will not stop questioning it. There is so much "information" out there about InDesign's PDF export that is simply wrong, based on superstition, hearsay, incomprehension, and pure stupidity that I have to "question why," just as a public service. It has nothing to do with "company line" (which I routinely violate anyway). It's just the truth.

All of the "problems" with direct PDF export are traceable to either ignorance or antiquated equipment/workflows. I've worked in plenty of places where I had to deal with the latter under policies set by the former, without recourse to argument, so I do understand the problem!

So we're cool, I hope.

Thanks,

Ole