Has anyone noticed that find/changes are taking much much longer in CS4
      vs. CS3? My script adds a temporary text frame on the first page, then
      does a whole bunch of find/changes and then moves that text to the end
      of the selected story. These find/changes are taking at least 20x as
      long as CS3.
        • 1. Re: Find/Change taking much longer in CS4
          Level 1
          Hi Fred,

I'd noticed quite the opposite--it seems faster for me in CS4. Is there anything that's different between your CS4 installation and your CS3 installation? Different machine, different hard drive, etc.?

Thanks,

Ole
          • 2. Re: Find/Change taking much longer in CS4
            Fred Goldman Level 3
            To be more specific, this is when searching for a font style (i.e. bold)
            and replacing with a character style.

I just turned on the timing feature in ESTK and in CS3 it took 837796
            microseconds. The same exact function with the same text etc. took in
            CS4 61321678 microsecnds. That means CS3 is about 80x faster. Is anyone
            else noticing this?

All other find/changes are just as snappy in CS4 as CS3, for example, text to text or style to style.
            • 3. Re: Find/Change taking much longer in CS4
              Fred Goldman Level 3
              Same exact machine etc. I am using the ME version so this might be an ME bug. That's really what I want to know, if people with the regular version are seeing the same results. This has really put a dent into my work (I spend most of time converting documents from an older publishing system) and has kept me from being able to use CS4.

Here is the code:

var myBold = CreateStyleBold() //This function runs quickly as expected
              findChangeGrep("Bold",myBold)

function findChangeGrep(find, change){
              app.findGrepPreferences = app.changeGrepPreferences = NothingEnum.nothing;
              app.findGrepPreferences.appliedCharacterStyle = myDoc.characterStyles.item("[None]");
              app.findGrepPreferences.fontStyle = find;
              app.changeGrepPreferences.appliedCharacterStyle = change;
              myStory.changeGrep(); //Here is where it is taking a very long time.
              }
              • 4. Re: Find/Change taking much longer in CS4
                Fred Goldman Level 3
                This is not only with scripts, using the UI also takes a very very long
                time.