9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2008 3:49 PM by Stephan Moebius

converting String to UnitValues?

Stephan Moebius Level 1
      Hello,
      how would i convert a string object to a UnitValue object?
      Say i have a an editbox.text where the user entered the string "2 in".
      How do i make it a unitvalue so i can convert it to another unit?

regards,
      Stephan
        • 1. Re: converting String to UnitValues?
          Jim Birkenseer Level 1
          Hi Stephan,

You got me curious as to how to use this, so I did some experimentation. At the end of the message is the code I came up with. I have not used UnitValue before, so hopefully others will chime if my code has some errors in it.

I noticed that UnitValue doesn't seem as sophisticated as InDesign's built in value parsing. For example, I couldn't figure out a way to use "6p7" (6 picas plus 7 points) in the constructor and have UnitValue know what it means. Also, one needs to make sure that there is a space between the value (the number) and the unit name in the string.

I could not quickly find a list of valid unit names, so I just made some guesses and listed the ones that worked.

The output prints to ExtendScript Tookkit's console panel.

I hope this helps!

-- Jim

// Using UnitValue.
          // Create a new instance of a UnitValue object

var myUV = new UnitValue("72 pt");

if (myUV.type == "?")

{

$.writeln("Unknown unit type entered.");

}

else

{

// Get the value in a particular measurement unit

$.writeln("Inches: " + myUV.as("in"));

$.writeln("Inches: " + myUV.as("inch"));

$.writeln("Millimeters: " + myUV.as("mm"));

$.writeln("Points: " + myUV.as("pt"));

$.writeln("Picas: " + myUV.as("pica"));

$.writeln("Ciceros: " + myUV.as("cicero"));

// Convert the UnitValue object to a specific measurement unit

// Show before conversion unit value output:

$.writeln("Before conversion: " + myUV);

// Convert the UnitValue into inches

myUV.convert("in");

// Show after conversion unit value output

$.writeln("After conversion: " + myUV);

}

• 2. Re: converting String to UnitValues?
            Stephan Moebius Level 1
            Thanks for jumping in. A list of unitnames and a description of the function i found in the adobe scripting guide.

How would you convert a string to a unitvalue? How would you write a "parseUnitValue(str)" function?

Say the user enters the string "10 pt", or "10 in" or "10 mm".
            Somehow i would have to seperate the value 10 from the substring "pt"/"mm"/"in" or whatever the user enters as unit. Seperated in substrings it could be fed to a new UnitValue(value, substring).

I found the string.match() function, which seems to be able to seperate the string into the needed parts. But i don't know how to make it work.
            • 3. Re: converting String to UnitValues?
              Level 1
              var a = new UnitValue( "10 in" );
              a.as( "mm" );

output is 254

It won't parse 4p3, but it will correctly parse a string such as "10 in", "27pt", or "12cm".

Bob
              • 4. Re: converting String to UnitValues?
                Stephan Moebius Level 1
                Thank you for your help, too. My problem is a little bit different. Perhaps i didn't describe it well enough. Can you still help me?

I have an editbox where the user enters a String. He enters anything he likes really - hopefully a proper unitvalue. But the editbox.text object is a String. And there is no telling what the user might enter:
                "10 in", "10in", "10 inch", "10 inches", "10mm", "10", "Mommy"

How do i parse this string to become the proper unitValue object "10 in"?
                • 5. Re: converting String to UnitValues?
                  Level 1
                  To validate the input field, this will work:

var regex = /\-*\d*\.{0,1}\d* *(?:in|inch|inches|ft|foot|feet|yd|yard|yards|mi|mile|miles|mm|millimeter|millimeters|cm| centimeter|centimeters|m|meter|meters|km|kilometer|kilometers|pt|point|points|pc|pica|pica s|ci|cicero|ciceros)?/gi;
                  var myMatch = myString.match( regex );
                  try {
                  var fieldIsValid = ( myEvent.target.text == myEvent.target.text.match( regex )[ 0 ] );
                  } catch( e ) {
                  var fieldIsValid = false;
                  }

That will validate a real number, one or more spaces, followed by units accepted by UnitValue

Bob
                  • 6. Re: converting String to UnitValues?
                    Stephan Moebius Level 1
                    Thank you very much! Can't wait to get home and try it in my script.
                    • 7. Re: converting String to UnitValues?
                      Jim Birkenseer Level 1
                      Very nice chunk of code Bob!

I don't know why I wrote the bit about needing a space between the number and the unit type. I could have sworn that I couldn't get that to work yesterday. I just retested, and it works fine--I guess I was just hallucinating. Again. ;-)

-- Jim
                      • 8. Re: converting String to UnitValues?
                        Stephan Moebius Level 1
                        Thanks again, Bob. I would never have figured it out myself.
                        Here is a String to UnitValue conversion example that works for me:

//
                        str = "-10,1mm";
                        var regex = /(\-*\d*[\.|,]?\d*\s*)(in|inch|inches|ft|foot|feet|yd|yard|yards|mi|mile|miles|mm|millime ter|millimeters|cm|centimeter|centimeters|m|meter|meters|km|kilometer|kilometers|pt|point| points|pc|pica|picas|ci|cicero|ciceros)?/gi;
                        var myMatch = str.match( regex );
                        alert(myMatch);

try {
                        var fieldIsValid = ( str ==str.match( regex )[ 0 ] );
                        } catch( e ) {
                        var fieldIsValid = false;
                        }

var myVal = str.replace(regex, RegExp.$1).split(",").join(".");
                        var myUnit = str.replace(regex, RegExp.$2);

alert(myVal);
                        alert(myUnit);

if (fieldIsValid) {
                        var myUnitValue = new UnitValue(myVal, myUnit);
                        alert(myUnitValue +' is a UnitValue now' );
                        alert('can be converted easily now to inch: ' + myUnitValue.as("in"));
                        }
                        • 9. Re: converting String to UnitValues?
                          Stephan Moebius Level 1
                          And here is the resulting function that parses strings as Unitvalues and does unit conversions.

var str = Edittext.text; // user enters "10in" or "-1 pt" or anything
                          var unitval = parseUnitValue(str, "mm");
                          Edittext.text = unitval;

function parseUnitValue (s, baseUnit) {
                          // it's beautiful!
                          // converts a string, for instance "-10.1 yard" or "0,23 mm" or ".3 pt" to a unitvalue. And then returns this value converted to baseUnit
                          // for instance if s literally is "1 inch" or "1in" and baseUnit is "mm" the function will return 25.4
                          // returns zero if the string doesn't parse to a unitValue!
                          if (s == undefined || s == '') { s = 0 } // if string empty make Zero
                          var regex = /(\-*\d*[\.|,]?\d*\s*)(in|inch|inches|ft|foot|feet|yd|yard|yards|mi|mile|miles|mm|millime ter|millimeters|cm|centimeter|centimeters|m|meter|meters|km|kilometer|kilometers|pt|point| points|pc|pica|picas|ci|cicero|ciceros)?/gi;
                          var myMatch = s.match(regex);
                          try {
                          var stringIsValid = ( s ==myMatch[ 0 ] ); // compare the string to the regular expression matched string. If they are equal then the string fits the required form for a unitvalue.
                          }
                          catch( e ) {
                          var stringIsValid = false; // if the string is not valid, something in the string was bad. Perhaps it was "+-10in" or "mommy" or "10i". Its not suitable for a unitvalue.
                          }
                          if (stringIsValid) {
                          var sVal = s.replace(regex, RegExp.$1).split(",").join("."); // get the real value part of the string. Also convert comma to point;
                          var sUnit = s.replace(regex, RegExp.$2); // get the unit part of the string.
                          if (sUnit == undefined || sUnit == "") { sUnit = baseUnit; } // this is for the case when the string is a number only, like "0", or "10.2", We then assume the user wanted the baseunit.
                          }
                          else { // if String doesn't parse as a unitvalue, make Zero
                          alert("Unknown Unit. Try: \n in, inch, inches, ft, foot, feet, yd, yard, yards, mi, mile, miles, pt, point, points, pc, pica, picas, ci, cicero, ciceros, \n mm, millimeter, millimeters, cm, centimeter, centimeters, m, meter, meters, km, kilometer, kilometers :)");
                          var sVal = 0;
                          var sUnit = baseUnit;
                          }
                          var myUnitValue = new UnitValue(sVal, sUnit); // create a unitvalue object...
                          return myUnitValue.as(baseUnit); // ...but output its value only - converted to baseUnit
                          }