3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2008 1:28 PM by (Olav_Kvern)

More Find/Change Issues !!

Seth McGraw Level 1
      by script I'm going to create and setup new doc, use a dialog to place a text file, and remove content from the text, format and save.<br /><br />the text file contains old msword-to-pagemaker format tags that I need to delete. the tags are in this format: <br /><br /><PmTags1.0Win><fSouvenir>    etc.<br /><br />I need to delete or convert to indesign cs3 the tags<br />(including "<" & ">" signs). <br /><br />I saved a series of 8 find/change steps to delete the content (text not grep) and need to run them consecutively and through as many as 400 entries<br />(all in the same threaded text box).<br /><br />Supposedly their is a "new" FindChangeByList.jsx somewhere that works, but I am unable to find it. the scripting/index page on adobe's website is useless, and provides no help what so ever. no links either.<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: More Find/Change Issues !!
          Level 1
          Hi Seth,

re: "Supposedly their is a "new" FindChangeByList.jsx somewhere that works, but I am unable to find it. the scripting/index page on adobe's website is useless, and provides no help what so ever. no links either."

I just looked, and everything is still working. Go to:

http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/scripting/index.html

Then click the Scripting Resources tab.

Here are the direct links that might be helpful--first, updated sample scripts:

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/products/indesign/scripting/downloads/indesign_cs 3_sample_scripts.zip

Second, the scripts that go with the Scripting Guide:

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/products/indesign/scripting/downloads/indesign_cs 3_guide_scripts.zip

In the latter, you should take a look at the ReadPMTags.jsx script (it's in the Text folder inside the JavaScript folder of the uncompressed archive). You can take the function (of the same name) from that script and modify it to do exactly what you want.

Also, if you don't see links or information at that page--which browser are you using?

Thanks,

Ole
          • 2. Re: More Find/Change Issues !!
            Seth McGraw Level 1
            Thanks for the help in finding the scripts.

I still can't get a dialog to come up for the find/change script unless I edit the directory path in line 119 by deleting the first "/". then it errors and says that the "find" text entry is invalid. Clues?

Thanks
            • 3. Re: More Find/Change Issues !!
              Level 1
              Hi Seth,

re: FindChangeByList

Which dialog are you looking for? Also, which platform (Mac OS/Windows) are you using?

re: ReadPMTags

It's just like PageMaker tags, which don't include character styles or object styles. It does have two features that the original PM tags didn't include--<i> for italic and <b> for bold.

Take the ReadPMTags function from the script, though, and you'll have a good place to start.

Thanks,

Ole