5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2006 7:28 PM by kglad

Wrapping text into a customized text area

Animadrew
      I need to have text loaded dynamically into a star-shaped text area. Is there any way to do this? For example, could I place a few dynamic text areas of different widths so that they make the rough shape of a star, then get the text to load into the first area and have the words wrap onto each successive text area?

Or maybe I could have one dynamic text area and limit the ammount of text that can fit in each line. I don't know. I'm not really full of ideas over here.
        • 1. Re: Wrapping text into a customized text area
          2m Level 2
          It could be done somehow probabli the firt suggestion of yours would point the right direction - but why on Earth would you wnat to do that dynamicly. It wont be readable, and to fit the "whole" text into would be pita?
          • 2. Re: Wrapping text into a customized text area
            Animadrew Level 1
            My first idea maybe the best one, but I don't know how to do it. Can anyone tell me how to get text to fill in more than one text box. For example, if the line of text reads, "Scooby Dooby Doo, where are you? We've got some work to do now."

The first text area can only fit the words, "Scooby Dooby."
            The rest of the text will be sent to the next text area, which will fit the words, "Doo, where are you? We've."
            Then the rest of the text that doesn't fit on that line gets sent to the next text area down, and it says, "got some work to do now."

So, now with all of the text inserted into the text boxes, it will look like this:

Scooby Dooby
            Doo, where are you? We've
            got some work to do now.

I just want to have the text wrap not onto the next line of the same text box, but onto the first line of another sepparate text box.

I hope this makes sense. I trust my Scooby Doo song will help clarify any questions you may have, just as Scooby Doo and his gang were always able to get to the bottom of any mystery they had stumbled upon.
            • 3. Re: Wrapping text into a customized text area
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              create a movieclip that contains a textfield only, give that textfield and instance name and give your movieclip a linkage id. you can then use the string methods to allocate each character of your string into one movieclip.textfield and arrange the textfields to suit your needs.
              • 4. Re: Wrapping text into a customized text area
                Animadrew Level 1
                Okay. I will try that. I'm no programming wiz, but my friend is. So I will force him into helping me. Then we will surely get it to work. Thanks kglad and 2m.
                • 5. Re: Wrapping text into a customized text area
                  kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  you're welcome.