1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 11:31 AM by Newsgroup_User

Image Optimization

skider
      I'm currently working on an application which requires a couple hundred png images to be displayed at once on the screen. I'm looking for ways to optimize the image storage so that it has the least effect on the user's system. The images must be resizable.

I'm using the Image class right now, and was thinking of switching over to the Bitmap class. Although I wouldn't gain the benefit of pixel-copying, I'm hoping that Bitmap will have a smaller footprint, and will give slightly better performance.

Is there a better way to do this? Should I be using graphics to draw BitmapData of the image directly onto a minimal component? If so, are there any guides for resizing the BitmapData for drawing?

Thanks,
      Nate
        • 1. Re: Image Optimization
          Level 7

"skider" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:glagl9$nvd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm currently working on an application which requires a couple hundred
          > png
          > images to be displayed at once on the screen. I'm looking for ways to
          > optimize
          > the image storage so that it has the least effect on the user's system.
          > The
          > images must be resizable.
          >
          > I'm using the Image class right now, and was thinking of switching over to
          > the
          > Bitmap class. Although I wouldn't gain the benefit of pixel-copying, I'm
          > hoping
          > that Bitmap will have a smaller footprint, and will give slightly better
          > performance.
          >
          > Is there a better way to do this? Should I be using graphics to draw
          > BitmapData of the image directly onto a minimal component? If so, are
          > there any
          > guides for resizing the BitmapData for drawing?

I use a Matrix to do the resizing, but I'm doing something different to what
          you're doing.

You might find this useful:
          http://tinyurl.com/superimage