4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2008 7:44 AM by droom dp

soft returns, xml export

droom dp Level 1
      If I want to export text, including soft returns, to xml I get the error that some kind of characters are not recognized.
      Is there a way to export soft returns correctly to xml ?

I already posted a similar question, but maybe I was not clear anough, so please accept my appologizes.

Kind Regards,
      Droom
        • 1. Re: soft returns, xml export
          Hi Droom,

what do you mean by "soft return"?

If you hit the return key you insert a new paragraph. It is the unicode 
 but it is afaik encoded as a single character. If you have a hex editor it is displayed as "e2 80 a9". In a texteditor it is displayed as a simple square.

If you hit shift+return you insert a "forced line break" (sometimes called line separator). It is the unicode 
 and in a hex editor it is displayed as "e2 80 a8". In a texteditor you'll see propably the same sqare as the other character.

Silo
          • 2. Re: soft returns, xml export
            droom dp Level 1
            Silo,

It is as you call it a "forced line break".
            If you insert this in a text and export the text to XML, InDesign give me the message that some characters are not recognized.
            Is there a way be scripting this process to avoid this problem.
            I'm already using a JS in combination with XSL to export my text more cleanly, but I do not see yet an simple solution to bypass this particular problem, any idea ?

Kind Regards,
            Droom
            • 3. Re: soft returns, xml export
              Level 1
              Hi Droom,

are you sure that it is this forced line break character that causes the error message?
              There are indeed some characters that can not be exported by InDesign's XML export, but as far as I know there are no problems with the forced line break.

Maybe you are using another char like an AutoPageNumber char (0x0018), a SectionMarker char (0x0019) or a right indent tab char(0x0008). These characters can not be exported.
              Generally every character that has a hex value lower that 0x0020 (except 0x0009, 0x000A and 0x000D) can not be im- or exported by XML.

Try to create a new document with only one frame, insert a single forced line break and export it. If it works you have to look for another character that causes the problem. If it doesn't work I am mistaken.

Form more info see my approach to import a right indent tab ( http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6dbd5/2 ).
              For some information about InDesign characters see: http://www.absatzsetzer.de/downloads/Zeichen.pdf (it is in German, but the table is understandable, I think)

Best wishes
              Silo
              • 4. Re: soft returns, xml export
                droom dp Level 1
                Thanks a lot Silo, you put me on the right direction.

Kind Regards,
                Droom