3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2008 6:15 PM by (Olav_Kvern)

"FindChangebyList" case sensitivity?

In using the "FindChangebyList" JavaScript that came with InDesign, I notice that 'finds' aren't case sensitive. Is there a way to include that property? In reading the "InDesign CS4 Scripting Guide," I see that you can address matters of case by inluding "app.findChangeTextOptions.caseSensitive - [true or false]". But this is for regular JavaScripts, and I'm unclear if it can be added to the "FindChangebyList" text file. Thanks for your help.

Gary Niemeier
        • 1. Re: "FindChangebyList" case sensitivity?
          Level 1
          Hi Gary,

The findChangeTextOptions are included in the FindChangeByList.txt file--the organization of each line is:

type|tab|findWhat|tab|changeTo|tab|findChangeOptions|tab|comment

So a typical line for a text find/change operation looks like this (where <tab> is a tab character):

text<tab>{findWhat:" - "}<tab>{changeTo:"^="}<tab>{includeFootnotes:true, includeMasterPages:true, includeHiddenLayers:true, wholeWord:false}<tab>Find all space-dash-space and replace with an en dash.

You would add:

caseSensitive:true<pre>

...to the find change options section of the line.

Thanks,

Ole
          • 2. Re: "FindChangebyList" case sensitivity?
            Level 1
            Ole,

Thanks for the quick reply. For anyone else who might be reading, I was still using the FindChangeByList text examples from CS2 (which I should have mentioned in my question). The examples in CS3 were considerably beefed up, and included the FindChange options you pointed out. Thanks for pointing me to the right place, and I look forward to using GREP in the nested style definitions in CS4 -- a big jump in the formatting power of InDesign.

Gary
            • 3. Re: "FindChangebyList" case sensitivity?
              Level 1
              Hi Gary,

Having grep also meant that I could do away with all of the iterative stuff in that script--which was a huge source of bugs in CS2(especially with text selections).

Thanks,

Ole