4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 12:11 AM by Loic.Aigon

[CS3,MAC] How can I auto-flow existing text to only the right pages?

Level 1
      Hi All,

I don't know if the title fits my question.
      I have finished a layout having master text frame with text auto-flow applied respectively to a 360 pages book with 400+ images, divided into 14 different documents sharing the same master spreads.
      The publisher though decided at the last minute that the book was too crowded and she prefers having the text running on the right hand side (odd pages) and the images to all be on the left hand side (even pages).
      I created a duplicate (E-images) of the master spreads (D-text) so as to keep the running heads formatting.

* I would like to apply the right master D-text page to all the odd pages (where the already existing plus any added text should auto-flow)or even better a range of them and then apply the left page of master E-images to all the even pages. At the same time it would be nice to add the necessary spreads so as to avoid overset

Thanx in advance
      Michael
        • 1. Re: [CS3,MAC] How can I auto-flow existing text to only the right pages?
          Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional
          Hi,
          That's funny because as I was writing womething for you, I realized that Indesign UI had already the feature you requested by mail.
          If you have a look onto the menu of the pages palette, you can apply a master to pages...
          It prompts you to choose the master you want to apply and you can enter the range of pages that you want to be modified.
          Regarding to the overset, this is something that maybe you won't feel anymore needed when you will have used this feature.
          BTW, even in the case you would have needed a script unspite of all, I think youu would have better created a master mixed from contents of pages E & D on a F masterspread. Hence applying a master is easier I think.
          Loic
          • 2. Re: [CS3,MAC] How can I auto-flow existing text to only the right pages?
            Level 1
            loic,
            I have already tried that and did not work.
            The way i originally created my master pages was:enw document->fecing pages->master text frame. Then I imported a Word file with autoflow. This made the text gong from right page to next left page.

Now that I created the new master spread (with no master text frame), I apply it to pages 2,4,6,8 etc but nothing happens. I loose (as expected) my headers but the text stil keeps autoflowing on those pages as well. I do not know why.
            The only way to make it autoflow to only the right pages is by: breaking the thread that goes from eg. page1 to page2 and then thread page1 to page2. Then do the same for all following pages.
            Am I doing something wrong?

Michael
            • 3. Re: [CS3,MAC] How can I auto-flow existing text to only the right pages?
              Level 1
              {EDIT}

breaking the thread that goes from eg. page1 to page2 and then thread page1 to page3

{EDIT}
              • 4. Re: [CS3,MAC] How can I auto-flow existing text to only the right pages?
                Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional
                Hi,
                Why don't you just keep the place operation for last ?
                I mean, take time to create your master as you did,
                New doc/facing pages/master text Frames
                Then remove the text frame on the left page on the master, next adding your headers and every other stuffs you need, and finally place your word document.
                Hence, it will autoflow only on right page and you won't have to fix overflows as they shouldn't be.
                Could it help ?
                Loic
                PS:BTW, if you have blank pages on right, meaning textframes with no content, DON'T remove the page itself, it will break the autoflow. Instead, delete the page break character on top of the textframe.
                You can also use a find/replace operation for that.
                PS2: I agree that the apply master UI feature has some limitations such as apply to all, apply to odd or apply to even that don't exist.