1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 25, 2008 3:16 AM by Loic.Aigon

Is it possible to Recover a document after InDesign crash?

Level 1
      Is it possible to Recover a document after InDesign crash?

I was creating a long document in InDesign and after placing some bad Word
      document, Indesign crashed..
      The bad thing is that I didn't save file before a crash, and after reopening
      file after crash I realized that 60 pages are missing..
      Can I recover this information somehow?
      Does InDesign makes AutoSave files (and how can I open them?)

Thank you in advance,
      R.
        • 1. Re: Is it possible to Recover a document after InDesign crash?
          Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional
          Does InDesign makes AutoSave files (and how can I open them?)
          Isn't it what it does actually ? When it offers recovery, I guess it opens what it can. The other datas may be missing or truncated.
          So basically, I would say that your 60pages datas are lost for ever.
          You could try to open the document directly and see if it makes any differencies.
          Another way, but never understood how to process on my own, should be to fix the information opening the indd file in a txt editor (like notepad). But I am afraid it's more a fantasy than a real opportunity. Anyway, trying so will be more time consuming than doing the things again.
          The more scriptable thing I see right now would be a permanent script that would save a copy every minute for example. But I don't know if it's a real good way of thinking.
          Another great script is activated by a shortkey " Ctrl + S" ;-)
          This is a script you really learn with experience and that become a reflex. I know it could sound like a mockery, buit it's not.
          It's just that sometimes this is the best way to avoid problems.
          Anyway, I hope someone gives you a better answer.
          Loic