9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 8:42 AM by Newsgroup_User

Basic startup problem

JFistere Level 1
      I am new to DW and I'm working with CS4. I set up my new site, created a blank CSS page and created a new HTML page with a Layout: 2 colum elastic, left sidebar, header and footer, and attached my CSS file. This is obviously the wrong thing to do because the four sections come out as four similar paragraphs. If I select the "Add to Head" option instead of a separate CSS file, the resulting sheet is OK. However I want to learn to use external CSS files.

I tried pasting what I thought was the relevant info from the header into the CSS file, then created a new HTML page with Layout: <none> and attached the modified CSS file. I got blank page and no evidence of columns, header or footer.

I would have expected the ability to create a CSS file with a layout, that would control the sheets attached to it, but that is not offered when creating a new CSS file.

So, my question is how do I create a sheet with a Selected Layout using an external CSS? If that is not possible, how do I create the particular Selected Layout I mentioned above?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

John Fistere

• 1. Re: Basic startup problem
          Level 7
          >I am new to DW and I'm working with CS4. I set up my new site, created a
          >blank
          > CSS page and created a new HTML page with a Layout: 2 colum elastic, left
          > sidebar, header and footer, and attached my CSS file.

The page you created was made from the DW Sample layouts? When you do that,
          the CSS for the layout is embedded in the head of the page. By linking to a
          new, blank CSS file, you would not affect the existing CSS at all, nor would
          you affect the desired layout. I am curious to know the details of what you
          did to know how it affected the layout.

> If I select the "Add to Head" option

What is this? Where do you see it?

Obviously, the answer to your questions will be in your code. Can we see
          it?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"JFistere" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:glhcem$7ji$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I am new to DW and I'm working with CS4. I set up my new site, created a
          >blank
          > CSS page and created a new HTML page with a Layout: 2 colum elastic, left
          > sidebar, header and footer, and attached my CSS file. This is obviously
          > the
          > wrong thing to do because the four sections come out as four similar
          > paragraphs. If I select the "Add to Head" option instead of a separate
          > CSS
          > file, the resulting sheet is OK. However I want to learn to use external
          > CSS
          > files.
          >
          > I tried pasting what I thought was the relevant info from the header into
          > the
          > CSS file, then created a new HTML page with Layout: <none> and attached
          > the
          > modified CSS file. I got blank page and no evidence of columns, header or
          > footer.
          >
          > I would have expected the ability to create a CSS file with a layout, that
          > would control the sheets attached to it, but that is not offered when
          > creating
          > a new CSS file.
          >
          > So, my question is how do I create a sheet with a Selected Layout using an
          > external CSS? If that is not possible, how do I create the particular
          > Selected Layout I mentioned above?
          >
          > Thanks for any advice you can give me.
          >
          > John Fistere
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Basic startup problem
            JFistere Level 1
            I have tried several different approaches, and I am not sure which is the one you want the information about.

Here's one sequence:

File / New / Blank Page / Page Type: HTML / Layout: 2 column elastic, left sidebar, header and footer / DocType: XHTML 1.0 Transitiona (the default, but I don't know why) / Layout CSS: Create New File / Create.

Save Style Sheet File As / File name: Hospitality.css / Save

Actually, this was slightly different than any sequence I had triec before and IT WORKED. Before I didn't ask DW to create the new Style Sheet.

Thanks for your encouragement.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along.

Cheers,
            John Fistere
            • 3. Re: Basic startup problem
              JFistere Level 1
              Well, things are not quite fixed. I went through the steps in my 01/25/2009 11:01:41 PM message, and got the expected default layout with default text. However when I Put the page I got the text in four successive boxes. No header, footer, or left sidebar.

You can see the page at http://jfistere.the-dreaming.net/Rotary/2009_Hospitality/index.html.

I can send you the CSS file, but it is the default file created by DW.

Thanks,
              John Fistere
              • 4. Re: Basic startup problem
                JFistere Level 1
                To see the page, you will have to remove the period from the end of the URL.

John
                • 5. Re: Basic startup problem
                  JFistere Level 1
                  It turns out that you get the successive paragraph (wrong) format in Live View, so it has nothing to do with the server.

John
                  • 6. Re: Basic startup problem
                    JFistere Level 1
                    Major progress and success: When I created the site I selected "Links relative to: o Site root" because I had seen it in some tutorial or something. I selected "o Document" just now and everything is working.

Now to put some content on the site.

Cheers,
                    John
                    • 7. Re: Basic startup problem
                      Level 7
                      Do you understand why that happens?

Do you understand what root relative links are and how they differ from
                      document relative ones?

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_13129&sliceId=2
                      http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15546&sliceId=2

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

news:gljhkc$q42$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Major progress and success: When I created the site I selected "Links
                      > relative
                      > to: o Site root" because I had seen it in some tutorial or something. I
                      > selected "o Document" just now and everything is working.
                      >
                      > Now to put some content on the site.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > John
                      >

• 8. Re: Basic startup problem
                        JFistere Level 1
                        Hi Ace,
                        Thanks for the references. For my type of work it appears that document based links are just fine.

To summarize, the things that I needed to do were:

1. Let DW create the separate CSS page instead of linking to an existing blank page.

2. Use Document based links in order to see images in Live View, etc.

Cheers,
                        John
                        • 9. Re: Basic startup problem
                          Level 7
                          Sounds like a plan....

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ==================
                          ==================

news:glkoph$d1v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Hi Ace,
                          > Thanks for the references. For my type of work it appears that document
                          > based
                          > links are just fine.
                          >
                          > To summarize, the things that I needed to do were:
                          >
                          > 1. Let DW create the separate CSS page instead of linking to an existing
                          > blank
                          > page.
                          >
                          > 2. Use Document based links in order to see images in Live View, etc.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > John
                          >