13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2008 9:25 PM by csm_phil

Highlight Text In indesign

hm_arul Level 1
      Dear Scripters,

There is a option to highlight custom tracking/kerning, h&j violations and etc.... This option will highlight the custom tracking/kerning lines in the indesign document. The highlighter will not print and will not give any disturbance to the document. Simply it helps uer where they made tracking.

The same way now I want to highlight the text "Fig. #", "Figure #", "Table. #". This will help user to see where the graphic citations are placed in the document.

This can be possible by doing javascript|vbscript? Please advice me how this will be done? I am woking with CS2 WinXP and I prefer JS.

Thanks in advance!

regards
      a r u l
      vpublish.net
        • 1. Re: Highlight Text In indesign
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant
          >This can be possible by doing javascript|vbscript?

No.

If you write a plugin you can, though. There is a sample that explains the basics.
          • 2. Re: Highlight Text In indesign
            Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            I use character styles for this. Create a character style, enable underlining, set width and offset, and pick a colour and tint such that you get a bar behind the text that highlights the text and still leaves it readable. Then do a Find/Change to apply the character style to whichever text you want.

In CS4 you could use GREP styles for this. The advantage is that any existing character styles applied in your document are left alone by the GREP Styles.

Peter
            • 3. Re: Highlight Text In indesign
              Hi Peter,

I use that trick as well but it violates the OPs demand

>[t]he highlighter will not print and will not give any disturbance to the document.
              • 4. Re: Highlight Text In indesign
                hm_arul Level 1
                Hi Peter and Jongware

thanks a lot 4 u r replys. This can be done some other way I think also I am struck

regards
                a r u l
                vpublish.net
                • 5. Re: Highlight Text In indesign
                  Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  True. I use another script(let) to toggle underline in those character styles, making those underlines invisible when the document is printed or exported. You could add an event listener to do that, too, I guess.

Peter
                  • 6. Re: Highlight Text In indesign
                    Level 1
                    but this underlining defined in CharStyle could be turned off before printing ;)

robin

--
                    www.adobescripts.com
                    • 7. Re: Highlight Text In indesign
                      Robin, ofcourse, but the method has a few disadvantages.

You have to turn it on and off
                      i manually
                      . Peter's suggestion of eventlisteners is beyond my scripting knowledge...

Besides, a regular character style
                      i overwrites
                      any current character style that happens to be applied to the text.

I'm relieved to hear the GREP styles of CS4 don't do that, but that would mean you would have to put every possible highlite phrase into a GREP style -- which may be utterly impractical (suppose you want the word 'the' highlighted --
                      b only once
                      ).

My biggest gripe is that there has been a Plugin SDK example for years now, precisely doing this: a way to highlight text in the interface. Never understood why they just didn't add it to the standard plugins.
                      • 8. Re: Highlight Text In indesign
                        Level 1
                        there is another workaround ;)
                        - duplicate TextFrame with founded text,
                        - apply No-Color to whole text,
                        - apply myCharStyleHighlight to founded text,
                        - move this new TextFrame to top or bottom layer ;)

of course if there is more than one text to highlight in the same TextFrame - only one duplicate should be done ;)

robin

--
                        www.adobescripts.com
                        • 9. Re: Highlight Text In indesign
                          Roy McCoy Level 1
                          hm24_arul wrote:

> There is a option to highlight custom tracking/kerning, h&j
                          > violations and etc.... This option will highlight the custom
                          > tracking/kerning lines in the indesign document. The highlighter
                          > will not print and will not give any disturbance to the document.

I have an additional question on this, hope it isn't too off topic. It
                          may involve something scriptable, I don't know.

Having used PageMaker as long as I did, I wound up with the habit of
                          working with text until I'd gotten rid of all of these highlights. A
                          line was either highlighted or it wasn't, so I always knew which lines
                          to correct and when they'd been sufficiently corrected. Now with
                          InDesign, however, there are three levels of highlighting, and the
                          spacing of lines with the lowest one in my opinion is generally not
                          bad enough to merit correction. Supposably the idea with the different
                          levels is that you fix up the dark highlights and don't worry about
                          the light ones, but I'm used to achieving totally unhighlighted text
                          and can't get into some kind of murky, undefined, halfway vibe. And
                          besides, if a line doesn't really need adjustment, as the lightly
                          highlighted ones generally don't, then I don't see the point in
                          highlighting them in any way. So as a consequence of this I've simply
                          stopped using the highlighting at all and keep it turned off - which
                          is a shame, because the highlighting was always a big help with
                          spotting and correcting undesirably spaced lines.

Does anybody know a way to obtain something more similar to
                          PageMaker's simpler, one-level-only highlighting mode?

Thanks,

Roy McCoy
                          Rotterdam, NL
                          • 10. Re: Highlight Text In indesign
                            Roy,

Bad-not bad is
                            i so
                            black and white! That's why there are 3 (perhaps four) levels of 'badness'.

I rely on my eyes for the really bad cases, especially since I turned on the Bad Spacing Highlighting and saw entire pages in yellow. Best you can hope for is 'as good as possible'.
                            • 11. Re: Highlight Text In indesign
                              Roy McCoy Level 1
                              Jongware wrote:

Bad-not bad is so black and white! That's why there are 3 (perhaps four) levels of 'badness'.

I understand that. But there's still a pretty black-and-white line between what one corrects and what one doesn't, and it used to be possible to get that via the spacing settings. You can still set your spacing, but it only juggles the rainbow as far as the highlighting is concerned.

I rely on my eyes for the really bad cases, especially since I turned on the Bad Spacing Highlighting and saw entire pages in yellow.

You and me both, then. Thanks for the commiseration.

Best you can hope for is 'as good as possible'.

Could be, but I tend to hope for an option to simplify the highlighting as well.

Roy

• 12. Re: Highlight Text In indesign
                                In our work we're using script whenever we print indesign documents so we can control whats going to appear and whats not in pdf or in printouts. So you can create a charstyle in indesign then whenever you export the script will delete the style before printing. Hope it makes sense
                                • 13. Re: Highlight Text In indesign
                                  csm_phil Level 4
                                  hi machi,

what ur problem tell exactly what you want tell i will try to solve this problem sure..

loving
                                  ~baby~