4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2008 6:13 AM by ekimber

[CS3 InDesign InCopy] Any Way to Use Proxies Via WebAccessLib?

ekimber Level 1
      We are using the webaccesslib DLL from InDesign and InCopy to integrate with a Web-based CMS.

However, we have discovered that it appears it cannot use proxy-based access, even with the Windows system proxy settings set up.

For example, from Windows, I can ping my target system from a command line (where I am behind a proxy and the target server is outside the proxy) but InCopy is not resolving the same address.

Online research did not reveal any obvious solution.

I did try using Bridge CS3 to configure proxy access per the Bridge online help, but I do not see the proxy settings option mentioned in the online help.

Anything I can do for this?

Thanks,

Eliot
        • 1. Re: [CS3 InDesign InCopy] Any Way to Use Proxies Via WebAccessLib?
          Level 1
          Eliot,

webaccesslib is not a sophisticated implementation. My guess is that it doesn't look at any system configuration settings. As an external library, I am very certain it won't look at application settings. On top of all that, ID CS3 doesn't officially support it (but it can be made to work).

You could roll your own using the socket object. There's a couple of ES http implementations out there, you could start with those. The other option would be to look at PatchPanel, which give you access to Flash's http support.

Bob
          • 2. Re: [CS3 InDesign InCopy] Any Way to Use Proxies Via WebAccessLib?
            ekimber Level 1
            Thanks--I'm starting to understand the limitations of the library.

Do we know if CS4 has more sophisticated HTTP support? I know there is more HTTP support in ID/IC in CS4 but I haven't had a chance to explore it yet.

Cheers,

Eliot
            • 3. Re: [CS3 InDesign InCopy] Any Way to Use Proxies Via WebAccessLib?
              ekimber Level 1
              We did work out from the bridge scripting guide that you can set a proxy server and port on the connectin object. This worked given an on authentication event handler to get and supply proxy credentials.

Cheers,

Eliot

-----Original Message-----
              Sent: Thu 12/18/2008 11:43 AM
              To: adobe.scripting.indesign@adobeforums.com
              Subject: Re: [CS3 InDesign InCopy] Any Way to Use Proxies Via WebAccessLib?

A new message was posted by Eliot Kimber in

InDesign Scripting --
              [CS3 InDesign InCopy] Any Way to Use Proxies Via WebAccessLib?

Thanks--I'm starting to understand the limitations of the library.

Do we know if CS4 has more sophisticated HTTP support? I know there is more HTTP support in ID/IC in CS4 but I haven't had a chance to explore it yet.

Cheers,

Eliot

View/reply at [CS3 InDesign InCopy] Any Way to Use Proxies Via WebAccessLib?
              Replies by email are OK.
              Use the unsubscribe
              form to cancel your email subscription.
              • 4. Re: [CS3 InDesign InCopy] Any Way to Use Proxies Via WebAccessLib?
                ekimber Level 1
                Follow up:

Using the HttpConnection object from Bridge in InCopy and InDesign have successfully authenicated through a proxy.

The key was realizing that you need to put the execute() in a loop that checks the connection status property and re-executes until status is HttpConnection.statusCompleted to handle multiple authentications.

It also appears that the HttpConnection object caches the proxy authentication so subsequent connection attempts to do not require re-authentication to the proxy.

Have also realized that Version Cue is the more appropriate and reliable way to do what we're trying to do (integrate with a CMS server) but had to make what we have work first.