13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2009 4:53 AM by (Dave_Saunders)

ID CS4 Win Script Edit inoperative

akribie Level 2
      In the script window there is an option to edit scripts available through right click or panel menus.

When I choose this option with an existing script highlighted (or any other way), nothing much happens.

The first time per ID session there is a degree of CPU and disk activity, but no visible result.

Subsequent attempts during that ID session have no apparent result at all.

I have trawled through Preferences and cannot find anything which requires me to associate an external editor with this function.

What am I missing here?

CS4 Master Collection Win XP Pro SP3.
        • 1. Re: ID CS4 Win Script Edit inoperative
          Andreas Jansson Level 2
          The ExtendScript Toolkit (the ESTK) is included with the InDesign installation. Try locating it on your hard-drive and see if it runs when you start it by double clicking the "ExtendScript Toolkit.exe" file.

A common suggestion to all strange errors seem to be to delete the preferences. Hold down Control-Alt-Shift while the splash screen is showing upon starting InDesign.

Kind regards,
          Andreas
          • 2. Re: ID CS4 Win Script Edit inoperative
            akribie Level 2
            Thanks Andreas, but no joy.

The toolkit is installed.

Deleting ID preferences made no difference.

I can see that the Extendscript process starts running when I first invoke Edit from within the ID script window and there is a brief flash of a new window opening and then immediately disappearing. The Extendscript process continues to run, but there is no user interface to interact with.

I tried renaming the defs.xml file for Extendscript, but that had no effect. The defs file is shown as last modified 30.8.2008, a couple of months before I installed CS4.

I am assuming that, in normal operation, a window appears after invoking Edit in which one can edit. Is this correct?

CS4 Master Colln Win XP Pro SP3
            • 3. Re: ID CS4 Win Script Edit inoperative
              Level 1
              What happens if you fire up ESTK and try to open a script file from there? We are talking about .jsx scripts, right?

Dave
              • 4. Re: ID CS4 Win Script Edit inoperative
                Andreas Jansson Level 2
                That's correct, edit and debug. Selecting edit should launch "ExtendScript Toolkit.exe" and load the script currently selected in the scripts panel. A shortcut for this is holding down the Alt key and double clicking a the script to edit, in the sctipts panel.

Since you say "The toolkit is installed", I assume that you've started it and that it works? Until you find out what's wrong you will have to start the "Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CS4" manually from disk or from the start-menu. You could also Ctrl+doubleclick a script file in the scripts panel to show it in Windows Explorer, and then select to Open with the extend script toolkit.
                A few extra steps to open it up, but the same result if it works. But until someone else comes with a better idea...

I had a similar problem once with another program... I had had my computer attached to a projector - meaning two screens. When back on my normal screen only, one dialogue box which had been closed on the other screen still opened up at those coordinates, and "at the other screen", i.e. outside what I could see on the single screen.
                • 5. Re: ID CS4 Win Script Edit inoperative
                  akribie Level 2
                  If I run the Extendscript Executable from Explorer, nothing appears on the screen but the process is running.
                  • 6. Re: ID CS4 Win Script Edit inoperative
                    akribie Level 2
                    I have both Toolkit 2 and Toolkit CS4 installed because CS3 suite is also still on the system.

Toolkit 2 runs as expected.

.jsx files default to open with Toolkit CS4,.

I have tried reinstalling ID from the installation disks.

I have tried a repair installation of Toolkit 2.

But Toolkit CS4 is not shown in the add/remove program list. If I select Master Collection CS4 for uninstal, I get a long list of items that I invited to tick to select those I want. But I cannot get a tick into the tick box next to the Extendscript Toolkit. So I can neither uninstal nor install the toolkit as far as I can see without uninstalling something else as well (but I know not what).

Extendscript CS4 is still not opening any windows despite being shown as running in the list of processes.

I've just about run out of ideas now. Maybe my best option is to associate .jsx with toolkit 2 and ignore the CS4 version?

All very boring.
                    • 7. Re: ID CS4 Win Script Edit inoperative
                      Andreas Jansson Level 2
                      I have to admit that I still develop with ExtendScript Toolkit 2, for CS3, even though I would have liked to use the CS4 version because of some improvements in the user interface. But I had problems with it, frequent crashes and possible bugs, which I thought to be caused either by my CS3 version still installed, or by the fact that there had not been enough "Updates" for the CS4 version yet. A collegue of mine has had some crashes as well, with only CS4 installed but he has not used it very often.

On my computer the new (CS4) extendscript toolkit starts and crashes immediately if I select "Edit" in the CS3 scripts panel, so I have to open it in windows explorer and chose "open with / Extend Script Toolkit 2". Perhaps associating the jsx files to ESTK2 would cure that, as you suggest.
                      As I read a question of my own, from Dec 2008, I recall that I had a problem silimar to yours, but then it was just the Find/Replace dialogue windows of the ESTK for CS4 becoming invisible (but still functionable).
                      Strangely I have not seen any other people reporting these problems, and few answers to my previous question on a simlilar subject:
                      Andreas Jansson, "What's the matter with my ESTK (CS4/win)?" #1, 16 Dec 2008 11:30 pm

Very boring indeed.
                      • 8. ESTK Rant
                        Level 1
                        Each version of ESTK has been flaky or broken in someway. The UI improvements,
                        while nice, do not make up for the continuing instabilities in the debugger.

The CS2 rev mostly just had limited functionality. There were other specific
                        things that didn't work correctly but the memories have faded.

With the CS3 rev, the major failing was no longer recognized the "$.level = 1;
                        debugger;" which totally ruined some of my standard debugging techniques.

The CS4 rev will get into death locks with PS on a fairly repeatable basis. And
                        it is painfully slow when you first step into (or close) a 5KLOC+ include file.
                        But they did fix the "$.level = 1; debugger;" problem after a detailed
                        justification from me (and, I would assume, others).

All versions do not play well (when debugging) with external editors. A simple
                        'Reload File' button would help here immensely since PS (esp CS3) can easily
                        lose track of when the file was edited and by whom leading to a confirmation
                        death lock.

And all versions default to a variable width font file text instead of a fixed
                        width font (which has been fairly standard since Grace Hopper's days). It's only
                        a problem because of the frequency with which preferences have to get reset when
                        ESTK flakes out once again.

-X
                        • 9. Re: ID CS4 Win Script Edit inoperative
                          Level 1
                          I get regular death locks in InDesign as well.

Any large scripts, like some of my libraries, are painful to the point of impossible to edit. One script, for example was functionally impossible to edit in the ESTK. Type 2 or 3 characters, wait 10-15 seconds, type, wait... type, wait...

I am having trouble with OMV and InDesign CS3 and CS4 object models. I get a "can't load XML" error about 90% of the time.

I haven't pinned it down yet, but working with InDesign, sometimes I make an edit to the file, save it, then run it from the ESTK. I get a "Leave Debug to enter changes" message, click no, it stops the debugger anyway, and reverts the file to the state PRIOR to the last save. It's done that a half dozen times on me.

Fixing the $.level thing has been a god send; but, the other troubles are tiresome.

Bob
                          • 10. Re: ID CS4 Win Script Edit inoperative
                            Level 1
                            > I haven't pinned it down yet, but working with InDesign, sometimes I make an edit to the file, save it, then run it from the ESTK. I get a "Leave Debug to enter changes" message, click no, it stops the debugger anyway, and reverts the file to the state PRIOR to the last save. It's done that a half dozen times on me.
                            >

This is part of the "doesn't play nice with external editors". I've reached the
                            point where I will make trivial edits in ESTK and just reload externally as
                            needed. If I need to change more that a few characters, I close the file's
                            window in ESTK, make my edits in Emacs (The One True Editor :), then restart the
                            debug session over again from scratch (and lose any breakpoints in the process).

-X
                            • 11. Re: ID CS4 Win Script Edit inoperative
                              Harbs. Level 6
                              Bob Stucky wrote:
                              > I am having trouble with OMV and InDesign CS3 and CS4 object models. I get a "can't load XML" error about 90% of the time.
                              >

The only way I can reliably get the xml files to load (and properly
                              target InDesign) is to target the CSx object model in the OMV before I
                              start InDesign. I have a feeling that this is because of some
                              pre-release quirks and I should probably re-install everything one day,
                              but I have yet to get around to that...

My standard process of starting up is:
                              1) Start the ESTK,
                              2) click on the CS2, CS3, and CS4 object models in the OMV,
                              3) Start InDesign.

This reliably gets things working properly (at least for a while). I
                              think too many scripts open in the ESTK causes trouble...

--
                              Harbs
                              http://www.in-tools.com
                              • 12. Re: ID CS4 Win Script Edit inoperative
                                Andreas Jansson Level 2
                                What does OMV mean?
                                • 13. Re: ID CS4 Win Script Edit inoperative
                                  Level 1
                                  Object Model Viewer.

Dave