4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2009 9:47 AM by (Olav_Kvern)

Creating INDD file from INX and visa versa

Hi

My task is to create a inx file from indd file and that was easy. I just use

var myDocument = app.open(File(sourceFileName));
      //save INX
      myDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.INDESIGN_INTERCHANGE, File(destinationFilePath+".inx"));

but my problem is that I now have a more that one INDD file and one INDB file and client ask me to make INX file from it.
      (I;m just a developer and I never use InDesigner application at all so is it possible? and how?

and than I have to form INX file create INDD file , text file and all Linking files in Links folder.

I found a

var myDocument = app.open(File(sourceFileName));
      myDocument.packageForPrint(myLinkFolder, false, true, false, true, true, true, "", false);

but problem is that I got only INDD file and for some reason the newly create INND file has a name undifined_1.indd (I found that this is a file name that script foud from INX file ?!?) LInks file is empty.

Is it possible that he create package and put all eps file there !?!
        • 1. Re: Creating INDD file from INX and visa versa
          (rosie_cantrell)
          I'm a designer not a developer, so I'm not sure I'll be helping but<br />the normal behavior when opening an INX file is creates an untitled<br />.indd file.  This is is typical.  I'm not sure how you would<br />automatically rename back to what it was previously. Have you tried<br />packaging the indd file BEFORE you make the INX file?  Also InDesign<br />has the ability to embed the images in the file or link them to<br />external files. You might check to see if that is done, by checking<br />the links pallet.  Unfortunately I'm not following what you're<br />starting goal and end goal is.  I'll be helpless with the programming<br />end, but any questions regarding how InDesign would typically do it,<br />I'm happy to help with.<br /><br />Rosie<br />Trying to learn scripting by osmosis (tucks her laptop under her pillow)<br /><br />On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 4:31 AM, lpastor74 <member@adobeforums.com> wrote:<br />> A new discussion was started by lpastor74 in<br /><br />> but problem is that I got only INDD file and for some reason the newly<br />> create INND file has a name undifined_1.indd (I found that this is a file<br />> name that script foud from INX file ?!?) LInks file is empty.<br />><br />> Is it possible that he create package and put all eps file there !?!<br />><br />> ________________________________<br />> View/reply at Creating INDD file from INX and visa versa<br />> Replies by email are OK.<br />> Use the unsubscribe form to cancel your email subscription.<br />><br />>
          • 2. Re: Creating INDD file from INX and visa versa
            Level 1
            thanks for replay

can I make a INDD file that contain all images? and when I create INX file form INDD here are the pictures? INX file is only XML.. so as I see there is no way to create INDD file form INX with file that will contain all used pictures?!?
            • 3. Re: Creating INDD file from INX and visa versa
              Level 1
              PS :

I have some file with indb extension. What is this file used for?
              • 4. Re: Creating INDD file from INX and visa versa
                Level 1
                Hi lpastor74,

The .indb file is an InDesign Book file--you use it to associate multiple InDesign documents into a book (which you can use for indexing, printing, TOC generation, etc.).

You can't make a single INX file from a book file, only from individual InDesign documents. You can't do that from the user interface, either.

You'll really need to refer to the InDesign documentation for more information on books--the best guide to scripting InDesign is to understand how the program works.

An INX file contains all of the data needed to re-create the document, including pictures or links to pictures.

Which version of InDesign are you using? If you're using CS4, you might find IDML more useful than INX--IDML is a newer XML format that does the same thing.

Also, what are you trying to accomplish? Why does the customer need an INX file? There may be better ways to do what they need to do.

Thanks,

Ole