6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2008 12:22 PM by (Joseph_Oxborrow)

Adding documents over afp server.

I am working on a script to generate a book from a text file. The indesign files are on an afp mount, which has been mounted and the permissions seem to be correct. I can have indesign open the document without any problem.

Using the following line of applescript adds a document to a book if the document is on the local machine but doesn't seem to work if the document is on the server.

set someContent to make new book content given full name:"afpseverMount:myDoc.indd"

Any idea why? Possible solutions?

Thanks,
      Joseph
        • 1. Re: Adding documents over afp server.
          sstanleyau Level 4
          On 17/1/08 6:29 AM, "Joseph Oxborrow" <member@adobeforums.com> wrote:<br /><br />> Possible solutions?<br /><br />Try using an alias to the document rather than just a path.<br /><br />-- <br />Shane Stanley <sstanley@myriad-com.com.au><br />AppleScript Pro Florida, Feb 2008 <a href=http://scriptingmatters.com/aspro>
          • 2. Re: Adding documents over afp server.
            Level 1
            Tried setting the document as an alias (below), again it doesn't work on the server but runs just fine if the document is local. There is no dialog that the document isn't found, or that permissions are bad, just no new doc in the book.

set myDoc to "afpserverMount:myDoc.indd" as alias
            set someContent to make new book content given full name:myDoc
            • 3. Re: Adding documents over afp server.
              sstanleyau Level 4
              On 18/1/08 6:26 AM, "Joseph Oxborrow" <member@adobeforums.com> wrote:<br /><br />> set someContent to make new book content given full name:myDoc<br /><br />I'm not sure what that colon is doing there; shouldn't it be a space? Mind<br />you, if it runs locally that's probably not your problem.<br /><br />-- <br />Shane Stanley <sstanley@myriad-com.com.au><br />AppleScript Pro Florida, Feb 2008 <a href=http://scriptingmatters.com/aspro>
              • 4. Re: Adding documents over afp server.
                Level 1
                Script editor complains if there isn't a colon and won't compile. Thanks for looking at it Shane. It is really weird I can't imagine what the problem is, unless there is some funny bug in ID CS3?
                • 5. Re: Adding documents over afp server.
                  sstanleyau Level 4
                  On 18/1/08 9:20 AM, "Joseph Oxborrow" <member@adobeforums.com> wrote:<br /><br />> Script editor complains if there isn't a colon and won't compile.<br /><br />That's because it should be:<br /><br />    set someContent to make new book content with properties {full<br />name:myDoc}<br /><br /><br />-- <br />Shane Stanley <sstanley@myriad-com.com.au><br />AppleScript Pro Florida, Feb 2008 <a href=http://scriptingmatters.com/aspro>
                  • 6. Re: Adding documents over afp server.
                    Level 1
                    Looks like there are certain files that will open and some that will not, if I manually add a one of the reluctant files to a book, InDesign asks if I would like to save the file before adding it to the book. After manually going through this process with a file, the script is able to find and add the file to a book w/o problems.

Any idea of why this happens?

Thanks for the help!