13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2008 7:30 PM by (Olav_Kvern)

exporting as INX

I am trying to batch convert INDD file to INX. Is there a way to script the export to INX? I have not seen it in the documentation.

Thanks for the help in advance
        • 1. Re: exporting as INX
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant
          ExportFormat.INDESIGN_INTERCHANGE should work.

The full help under 'Document' reads

>void exportFile (format: any, to: File[, showingOptions: bool=false][, using: PDFExportPreset][, versionComments: string][, forceSave: bool=false])
          Exports the Document to file.

Obviously, the parameter PDFExportPreset is not necessary here; you only need to set the format to ExportFormat.INDESIGN_INTERCHANGE.
          • 2. Re: exporting as INX
            Level 1
            thank you I'll give it a try
            • 3. Re: exporting as INX
              Level 1
              -- Path to InDesign document input folder. Place Indd files in this folder --
              set inputFolder to "Macintosh HD:Users:yanivisraeli:Desktop:input_indd"

-- Path to InDesign interchange document output folder. --
              set outputFolder to "Macintosh HD:Users:yanivisraeli:Desktop:output_inx"

-- Adobe InDesign version --
              tell application "Adobe InDesign CS3"
              activate

tell application "Finder"
              set Afolder to inputFolder as alias
              set a_list to every file in Afolder
              repeat with i from 1 to number of items in a_list

tell application "Finder"
              set a_file to (item i of a_list) as alias
              set f to name of a_file
              end tell

activate
              open inputFolder & ":" & f

-- disables user interaction, though missing fonts or links may be prompted. --
              set user interaction level of script preferences to never interact

set this_document to f
              set f to active document

tell active document
              (export format "InDesign interchange" to outputFolder & ":" & this_document with force save)

close document 1 saving no
              end tell
              end tell
              end tell

end repeat
              end tell

end tell

activate
              quit
              end tell
              • 4. Re: exporting as INX
                chadgb Level 1
                Jay,

This is an awesome script. Now if you could just add the additional step of saving as CS2 document, the script would complete the process. (I want to convert CS3 to CS2 in one easy script)

Thanks
                • 5. Re: exporting as INX
                  Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  With this one: http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/batch_convert_cs3.html you can batch export INDD (CS3) to INX and with this one: http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/batch_convert_cs2.html batch convert INX to INDD (CS2). I don't think it's possible to convert INDD (CS3) to INDD (CS2) in one script: CS3 can read CS2 files and write CS3 and INX; CS2 can read INX files and write CS2. So you need two scripts, one run in CS3, the other in CS2.

Peter
                  • 6. Re: exporting as INX
                    chadgb Level 1
                    I did exactly that and worked great! I stumbled onto your site while I was awaiting this reply. What a great script. I'll find all kind of uses for it. Thanks again. I'll keep you in mind for future scripting needs.
                    • 7. Re: exporting as INX
                      try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                      >> The full help under 'Document' reads [...]

May I ask where you got this information from?
                      I couldn't find it in any of the reference PDFs or in the ExtendScript Toolkit help files.

Thanks in advance.
                      • 8. Re: exporting as INX
                        try67,

You must be looking at another version of CS. CS3 came without reference PDFs for javascript; it has its documentation in the ESTK, under the Help menu.

As I was not quite happy with the provided help viewer, I converted the XML file to HTML; see ExtendScript2 CS3 Object Model Viewer (very complicated - any alternative viewer ??) for some pats on me shoulders.
                        But, as I said, you must be workin with an older version, so it's probably of no use to you.
                        • 9. Re: exporting as INX
                          jongware,

First of all, you deserve some pats on ye shoulders from me as well. Thanks!

You were (partially) right about my version of ID. I'm writing a script for CS2, although I also have CS3 here at the office, and I use ESTK2, but was unable to find the information I wanted. I'm especially frustrated with the awful find option of ESTK2...

Actually, maybe you (or someone else) could help me out a bit.
                          I wrote a script that prints an entire folder of INDD files to PDF using Distiller, but I can't force it to print into the same folder. It keeps saving the files on the desktop. Is there a way to do it from ID? Or do I need to look (further) into Distiller's options?
                          • 10. Re: exporting as INX
                            The Distiller is a separate program; as soon as a PS file leaves InDesign, it's invisible to InDesign. What you probably did is write a script that prints to your Distiller In folder ;-)

So, no, I don't think you can influence Distiller's destination in any way from within an ID script.

Is there a special reason you are not using the PDF Export from ID? Distilled files are a bit (sometimes a lot) smaller, but technically there should be no difference. The main difference here is, setting PDF export preferences and controlling where they should end up is a breeze with a script.
                            • 11. Re: exporting as INX
                              Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                              The scripts mentioned in post #5 in this thread export to PDF too.

Peter
                              • 12. Re: exporting as INX
                                >> Is there a special reason you are not using the PDF Export from ID? Distilled files are a bit (sometimes a lot) smaller, but technically there should be no difference.

Yes, there is, actually. I need to convert the PDF files to Flash using FlashPaper and I've noticed that the exported PDF files (I've used several presets and played with the settings quite a lot), do not import well to FlashPaper. For one, some of the graphics get distorted: vertical lines become thin in some parts, or even broken. Also, the text becomes unsearchable, which is a problem.
                                When I printed the same file using Distiller, all of these problems disappeared.

>> The main difference here is, setting PDF export preferences and controlling where they should end up is a breeze with a script.

I know, I've done it on my own in a script, but because of the reason mentioned above I can't use it...
                                • 13. Re: exporting as INX
                                  Level 1
                                  Hi try67,

The solution to your problem lies in getting InDesign's PDF export to use the same job options file as Distiller. That's all. Can InDesign see the job options file your copy of Distiller uses as the default? If not, there's your problem.

Thanks,

Ole